Capflyer

Well Known Member
The coupler between the control unit and the valve assembly on my compressor was severed and I am not able to get the broken piece out to replace the coupler. There is no lip to grab onto on the embedded piece. I tried a screw driver and friction to turn it but it's in too tight and I was being carefull not to bend the soft metal. Any ideas from this very bright, intelligent and handy group?

dsc011181ee.jpg

dsc011196mq.jpg

dsc011208lb.jpg

Here's a picture of what you need

http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/extractr.html

Just get a size that fits in about halfway and tap in it in. Then you just turn it counterclockwise with a wrench while pushing on it a little to help it bite into the broken part. It will grab the broken part and screw it out. Spray some penetrating oil on it before you start. It usually works good.

The common name for this tool is an "easy-out".

Mark

Last edited:
I think most hardware stores, actually, would have it. It's just a threaded instrument that runs opposite the thread of what you're trying to extract...so as you insert and turn it to put it into the bolt (or screw or whatever you're trying to extract), at the same time you're putting pressure on the bolt -- or screw or whatever -- in a direction that will unthread it.

Bob Vila has an answer for everything, I tell ya!

The extractor is a good approach but this can probably easily be removed by cutting through it with a Dremel cut-off wheel, small burr or even with a small file and a little work. Make a couple of cuts then knock the piece to the center of the fitting. The remaining piece will be easy to remove.

Ken