Mr Charles

Well Known Member
I have a RV-4 I purchased a few years ago that was built in 1993...IO 360, inverted oil, vetterman, and had a Bernie Werneke wood prop and fluid balancer/dampner...I am wanting to install a 3 blade MT constant speed prop, and mechanically have no issues completing the job...but I am not sure of the paperwork required if I do the work myself...can I replace w/ a logbook entry and new weight and balance, or is there some requirement to re-enter a testing stage or something, and if so, since I didn't build it originally how do I go about that or find info on how to? Thanks for your time...
Charles

Easy to do

Read your Operating Limitations which are required to be in your plane when flown. There are various versions depending on when the plane was certified. Typically you will enter the plane back into phase one via a logbook entry (see Operating Lims for wording). A minimum of five hours of flight day VFR by yourself in the flight test area approved by your local FSDO, then when testing is completed , make an entry in the logbook using the language in your Operating Lims putting the plane back into Phase two (normal everyday) operations.

Some lims ask for a new FAA form to supposedly update your data on the plane in OKC. However, a glitch in the FAA procedures has no process internally to update your records so do not expect to go online and find something like an engine upgrade,etc.

Last edited: