Desertsky

Thanks to all for the good advice. I am going with the taildragger, the 0320 and the wirlwind prop sounds appealing. That big wing sounds like a max 15kt crosswind component with flaps partail or up. Thanks again..

Last edited:
Welcome to the VAF forum!

I can only suggest you build the plane YOU want and not the plane others want you to build.

The -9 is one of the easiest taildraggers I have ever flown and the visability out the front is outstanding. (Just don't ask about my taxi incident last year.)

I'm currently re-engining my -9 with an O-360 and you need to do some research before going there.

Van's max HP for the -9 is 160, which is more than enough, even out west, IMHO.

However, if you are going to put an O-360 & CS prop in your -9, you will want to go with a Whirlwind prop or some other composite CS prop. This will help keep the weight of the combination in check. That and the WW CS prop is supposed to be very good.

The other things I have done to reduce weight is to use dual P-mags, Skytec Flyweight starter, and not add a bunch of bells and whistles to the plane. Put the ECi tappered cylinders on the engine and you can save another six pounds up front.

Keep it simple and light and you will be very happy.

Last edited:
I am going (slowly) with the O-360 in my -9A. When you get to ordering the finish kit you will have to sign a waiver of sorts with Van's and order a cowl for a RV-7 which is slightly wider for the 360, FYI. Glenn

I am about to purchase a Rv kit. I am a experienced taildragger pilot. I well be retiring from the airlines. My goal is to have a recreation airplane. Most of my ops are at 5000 msl airports with at least 2000 feet of runway somtimes dirt. Mountain flying can be windy and gusty. I like the Rv-9, easy to climb into, 2 extrea knots in cruise, a little less cost to build, I like the way it looks. I am planning on the 0360 (180hp) with a constant speed prop. Can you all help me with any handling issues that I might regret with the Rv-9. Doug from Reno.......

Other than by the time you say "V1, Ro..." your already airborne. Oh yeah, Your accelerate stop distance is about 100 ft. With an o-320 and FP prop I am airborne within 4 seconds of lining up on centerline.

I Like my 9a

You probably do not want to land a tricycle gear on a dirt runway. The front wheel has a tendency to fold under when it hits a gopher hole or rough gravel causing lots of damage. I have a 9a with an O-235, 2 pmags, slider, and a Catto prop. I like the full view of the airport while taxiing, and I like the control and ease of take offs and landings. Its has very forgiving flight characteristics. Of course, the 9a requires a tow bar, front wheel gear, and fabrication of fiberglass pants and legs. One concern is that the W&B Cg is always close to the rear limit. Also, two people cannot stand on the step at the same time or else the tail will come down hard damaging the rudder. We placed a steel plate under the rear o-ring attach point to protect the rudder.

Have fun in your selection,

Last edited:
nine-or-nine-eh??

welcome,
if you've perused the forum at all, you'll see the nosewheel issue again and again.
Perhaps you want to call the Brits and plan to use their big 5.00x5 nosewheel, and 6.00x6 mains.
If you go TD, that my be superior in many ways....even on paved strips, I often can barely taxi thru the gopher patch to get to my tie down without major problems.
I'm not sure the 9 is the best mountain machine....when it's windy & gusty, you want decent power and higher wing loading to penetrate.
The way my 9 floats on landing, crosswinds and gusts are a real problem, (but I'm a few thousand hours shy of your experience.)
Just saying, maybe you want a -7 so you can do carrier approaches & drop it on when needed.
sounds like you need to find some local RV pilots an do some test flying!!!
have fun!

Go for the 9 or 7

I have a 9A, its a good aeroplane but:-

1. The risk of the nose gear collapsing is always a worry even thought I always land on the mains and kepp full up elevator to lift as much weight off the nose as possible.

2.The 9a is really difficult to push backwards especially on grass, even more so on wet grass. I have a steering arm but when you push back the nose wheel skids over the wet surface making it very difficult to steer.

I suggest you search the forum more, also. You will find (as you have already with just one post) that there are many biases between the TD and NG pilots. I fly a 9A. I don't worry in the least about gear collapse. I have seen more wipe-outs from ground loop, more nose-overs on TDs, and people do run into things with limited forward visibility. Everything can happen. Don't let fears stand in your way; they are usually overblown. Look at insurance rates if you have any doubts.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong. I have flown both the -A and a 7. It is true, the TD is very easy to land. 2 kts speed means little at these speeds. Costs are very similar. Go with what feels right. This is just the first of many decisions you will have to make before you will fly this RV. Getting in and out is easy if you have the steps, and just a little practice. I can push mine into a hangar without my tow bar, although I usually don't. I might build a TD next, but I love my -A. Only you will be able to answer this question...

Bob Kelly