gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
So I know the CAT 436-3 is Cleaveland tools. It is lazer etched, shiny polished. I assume this is the spring back die.

I have a second that looks identical to the CAt 426-3 but stamped in it "T3". It is a stamp not laser etched.

I can say they both produce similarnice dimples in sample 0.032 clad 2024-T3. The T3 may be a tad more? May be my imagination. Hard to tell and rivets have tolerances as well. Both are #40 pilots.

I bought these over a decade ago and forgot what was what.

What is the T3? I vaguely recall is there is a TANK dimple die that goes a bit deeper for sealant?

What do you think of Cleveland dimple dies. They are top quality in appearance. I have 2 other dies that are steel not polished but produce acceptable dimples with similar depth, may be a bit less depth, small surface aberrations round dimple? The quality of the CAT 426.-3 and T3 dimples are better. That is why I bought them, but again what is a "T3"?

Attachments

• 20240531_120915.jpg
    20240531_120915.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Yep - tank die.

Years ago the idea was using a tank die provided just a little more pro-seal in the joint. If memory serves Van’s had a video that said this was not necessary.

But - a tank die can be used when doing more than two layers of aluminum. The deeper dimple in the bottom layer can provide a little better fit. I’ve done this with standard and tank dies. I never could tell the difference.

To the other question, Cleaveland dies are very good quality.

Carl