9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
It's been about 4 years since I built my gas tanks. The Andair locking gas caps worked fine then. I greased up the seals, put them on, cleaned up the tops and taped over the caps to keep paint/dust out and left it like that until last month. Last week at the airport, I attempted to open the tank caps to start gassing and calibrating the probes and the key would hardly go in either side. I soaked the key opening and filled the cylinder up with Mouse Milk for several days. That helped some and I can get the key in and wiggle it to bottom out but it won't unlock. I also used WD-40 soaking for 2 days, added heat, poked with a dental pick, blew it out under pressure and still no help. I have already put a bend in one of the keys and don't want to use any more force trying to get the cylinder to turn. The cap will turn a couple degrees then hit the stop. The cylinder will also move a degree or two. My guess is internal corrosion from electrolysis since no contaminants could enter the lock. Any suggestions before I call a locksmith out or destroy the locks??:confused:

Fill the key slot with arecroil and then put a vibrator on it to free up the pins. It might take a few minutes. Get the 110 V kind that many drug stores sell.

I assume you are referring to the buzzing coil used in Model T ignition systems and as a part of the "shower of sparks" aviation ignition systems - also called a trembler coil. But those are DC powered, not 110 VAC. And I don't think they are available at Walgreens!

Or perhaps you mean the electromechanical device used in inverters before the advent of switch-mode power supplies? Again, I don't think you can get them in the Walmart pharmaceutical section!

I don't know why a CD from the British punk band "The Vibrators" would help, and the music section at CVS would not tend to stock an obscure group like that!

Perhaps you mean the sustainer pickup option on some electric guitars, but it would take a specialty music store to obtain one rather than Rite-Aid.

So I am stumped?!! Perhaps someone else can figure this out?

I got an email into Andair but no reply as of yet. I got some Kroil penetrating oil at my other hanger up north. I'll bring it home next week and give it a try. Vibrator,,,,,,,hmmmmmmmmm. ;) I thought there might be some kind of magical liquid available I don't know about that would disolve or free up the corrosion.

coca cola

This is what i used to free pistons from the cylinders in a 1275 motor from my 1964 mini cooper. YMMV Give it a shot.

Vibrator,,,,,,,hmmmmmmmmm. ;) I thought there might be some kind of magical liquid available I don't know about that would disolve or free up the corrosion.

Look near the vibrators at the drug store.

products_10_big__47683.1316730053.1280.1280.jpg

:D

Chanel #5 might loosen them up. Wouldn't hurt to apologize to them for all that neglect...

Oh Boy,,,this thread is drifting to the point of lock down:eek:. I goggled the problem and the results are basically an argument of which lubricant to use, dry graphite or liquid. The coke thing might work. I need something liquid that can penetrate and break down the powdery corrosion,,,then I can flush it out and lubricate. From what I found to be a common agreement is that WD-40 will evaporate and leave a varnish like deposit in the pins and springs which is a bad thing. Liquid lubricants also attract dust and the like that can clog things up. Dry lubes like powder graphite are usually over done by the average person and will also cause problems when over done.

Somebody in the UK did some tests to find the best freeing agent. It turned out to be a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission oil. You might try that together with some technical taps with a soft hammer.

Once you get them off ...

I would deposit them in the trash. This should be a warning to other builders/owners.

Bob Axsom

Somebody in the UK did some tests to find the best freeing agent. It turned out to be a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission oil. You might try that together with some technical taps with a soft hammer.

I was also thinking about that stuff. I read about it years ago on this forum and have some mixed up in an oil pump can in my shop. Heading to the hanger now so I'll give it a try and report my results.

FWIW

It's my understanding these are all keyed alike if you need another key
I've been using them for years, no problem. I wonder if they may have been lubed with something that's has dried out and hardened
Good luck
Tim.

I would deposit them in the trash. This should be a warning to other builders/owners.

Bob Axsom

Yeah. I already regret all the Andair stuff I purchased except for the fuel valve.
Andair support is slow at best and after I installed the locking caps, I realized that the tank nozzle opening is now so small it would be impossible to tell the fuel level with the pump nozzle inserted.

I said I would report back so here it goes: It REALLY helps to have the right key.:eek: I fooled around with the caps and various solvents for another day and called out a locksmith. He picked and popped both caps off in less than a minute each. After dis-assembly of one of the caps getting to the cylinder and being able to pull out the springs and gates, he determined that it was the wrong key. Although very close, it would not activate the last gate. Took the keys home and found that they opened one of my rolling tool chest cabinets. Tore the shop apart looking for the correct keys and no luck. I have no idea how those keys found their way into the Andair parts box so many years ago or where the correct ones are so another problem to solve is getting keys made now.

I said I would report back so here it goes: It REALLY helps to have the right key.:eek: I fooled around with the caps and various solvents for another day and called out a locksmith. He picked and popped both caps off in less than a minute each. After dis-assembly of one of the caps getting to the cylinder and being able to pull out the springs and gates, he determined that it was the wrong key. Although very close, it would not activate the last gate. Took the keys home and found that they opened one of my rolling tool chest cabinets. Tore the shop apart looking for the correct keys and no luck. I have no idea how those keys found their way into the Andair parts box so many years ago or where the correct ones are so another problem to solve is getting keys made now.

Ok Now thats funny! That could never happen to me. Im too smart for that:eek:
Ive been watching this thread closely. Very pleased you did not damage anything. Let me know if you can not find a key. Ill send you one you can dupe and return.

Thanks for the update. Despite what some other people have said about Andair, I love my Andair gas caps. They are certainly an upgrade from the stock Vans caps. I do keep 1 key on my everyday key chain and another key on a key chain that stays in the plane.

BTW. The first set of caps that I had leaked through the key slot. Andair replaced them without any hassle and the replacements don't leak a drop.