Dbro172

Well Known Member
I'm gearing up to hang this beast and looking to find the port for the oil pressure restrictor fitting. Please Help

Overall picture of Engine:
ztyx4g.jpg

Here there are two ports with allen plugs adjacent to the upper right engine mount. They appear to serve the same purpose? Should i use one of these (left or Right)?
de5wu9.jpg

Here is a larger fitting with an allen plug in front of what I believe is the prop governor adapter, what's this one for?
ju732e.jpg

Thanks,

Plug

The plug on the side is difficult to access after the engine is mounted, it is very close to the mount ring tube. The aft facing plug is much more accessable. Most older engines have only the side plug.

You do know about using a restrictor fitting there don't you??

Yes Sir, the restrictor fitting and instructions came with the firewall forward kit from Vans. Thanks for checking, im at that stage where things are becoming real new, real fast:eek:

I purchased my RV already built. I haven't the technical skills to change the batteries in my flashlight. Still, I enjoy reading these post where you guys help each other. Why???

Here is a larger fitting with an allen plug in front of what I believe is the prop governor adapter, what's this one for?
ju732e.jpg

That one....sump return, IIRC a turbocharger oil return in an OEM application.

Oil Pressure Fitting

The middle photograph best shows the two choices for locating the oil pressure fitting. I highly recommend using the aft port as opposed to the side port. In my case I originally installed the restrictor fitting in the side port and mounted the engine. Due to interferences caused by the motor mount I actually removed the engine and moved the fitting to the aft port.

Thanks

The middle photograph best shows the two choices for locating the oil pressure fitting. I highly recommend using the aft port as opposed to the side port. In my case I originally installed the restrictor fitting in the side port and mounted the engine. Due to interferences caused by the motor mount I actually removed the engine and moved the fitting to the aft port.

This is very helpful information too. Thanks!

I'm aware a flexible line is approved in this location as long it is clear of heat, oil drainback lines and clamped in at least two locations. My question is why would one want to do this? Are the hard stainless lines expensive?

I'm aware a flexible line is approved in this location as long it is clear of heat, oil drainback lines and clamped in at least two locations. My question is why would one want to do this? Are the hard stainless lines expensive?

If you are referring to the brown line to the prop Governor; that is how the engine was delivered. I ordered a Fixed pitch O-320 and this is how it came. I am still on the fence as to how i'm going to finalize this.

Hose

This MAY BE an alternative to removing or puncturing the aft crankshaft plug in the front main bearing area. Using this configuration allows installation of a constant speed prop without installing the aft plug. The aft plug is a bit difficult to access.