danielhv

Well Known Member
Ok, I'm thinking WAAAAAY ahead here... so dont laugh. :D

I am on the market to buy my first house. We have looked at a few so far... but I found one that is $8,000 more than the price range I was looking to stay in... and its like, 1 street over from the airport! Now, im a member of a flying club, whose A&P is hangared at that airport. My question is, when I finally build an RV, will the runway be long enough for my first test flight... its 4305x40... So, to summarize the benefits:

1. Close to airport, see planes, stay motivated.
2. Close to club A&P so I dont have to go far for help if needed.
3. Close to home when I need a hangar to finish build.

So, does this stuff constitute the extra $8k?

Here is the airport: T31

And here is how close the home is: MAP (move map to the right and you will see the airport just west of the home)

Consider the 8K an initial investment towards the total costs required to build then fly an RV. Years from now, you'll be glad you did it: GO FOR IT! :D Rosie

Okay if we snicker?

4300' is way more than enough! Even if you land long (as I did) you will have room to spare. It is nice if the AP is remote, giving you more options in the remote chance of a problem.

Now, offer something less than they are asking, say like $8k less and see what happens! That will just about buy your tail and wing kits.

Bob Kelly

Sounds like a good idea!

If you like the house and the neighborhood it sounds like you can't loose here. I like the idea of asking $8K less than asking price to start negotiations. Housing prices are not set in stone and from talks on the national level it sounds like housing prices are coming down some these days. Maybe the seller is motivated and will jump on your offer, or at least come back with a counter offer somewhat less than the initial $8K additional cost.

Nobody's Laughing...

A few questions come to mind:

1. How does your significant other feel about the house?
2. How is hangar availability? Is there a good chance you'll be able to get one
when you need one?
3. If the house wasn't so handy to the airport, would it still be worth $8K
more than you had budgeted?
4. How will you like this house long term? If you decide you wish to move in
the future, will it be harder to sell the house because of its proximity to the
airport? Not everyone wants to be near an airport (I know, hard to believe!)

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
Living and building at the airport

I'm building an RV8 at my house. The airport (9f9) is in my backyard -- literally -- and it is shorter and narrower than T31. I fly my Bonanza in and out all the time, and certainly plan to fly the rv the same way.

I've made many first flights out of Aero Country (T31). No problem. However, be aware the runway is actually 2,950' long. The 4300' includes the grass runway at the north end.