tkatc

Well Known Member
I have been looking into buying a 6a or 7a. I have my eye on a few. I have gotten pre-approved for a loan, I have gotten a very reasonable insurance quote given my low time (of course they want 5 hours dual and 5 hours solo before pax), I have been looking for hangar space but it doesn't look good....at best it would not be very convenient to keep the plane 30-40 minutes from my home. It will definately impact the budget but I have reason to believe the budget will improve greatly over the next 6-18 months. It is definately doable now....but I have to scrounge up the 15% downpayment required by the bank.

Let's say for sake of argument that the decision to buy has been made despite all the obstacles I have mentioned above. I have been in contact with Jan Bussell about transition training and the schedules will work for the beginning of August. I'd say my concernes are about money and timing. Transition training will eat into my 15% down payment fund...furthering the date I would be able to purchase. Also, the airplane I have my eye on may be gone by then. Will I have wasted money on transition training if I don't buy an RV within so many months of training? As you can see I am talking myself into confusion....any advice?

Hi Tony....

...Having given about 80 guys transition training over a 5 year period, I'd be inclined to wait 'til you're pretty close to buying to schedule your training.

Yes, it's a money issue but these are high performance airplanes that need a delicate touch and the more recent your training, the better. I'd say a difference of two months max between training and buying.

Best,

Older and wiser.........

Finance things that appreciate..

Pay for things that don't.

Pay for your toys.