RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
My alternator went belly up I think. No volts and amp drop.
Anyway, I took it off and tried to get it tested but no one in my little one horse town will test it unless they know what kind of car it's off of.

I think it's a Plane Power from the looks but no tags or numbers. The only tag on it say "World Class" remanufactured. some numbers but not all readable.. 4946-91.

Here's some photo's and I would like any info you have. Is there a replacement for Plane Power. I'll buy one if not but never hurts to save $$ if I can. I'm also trying not to have to replace all the brackets and put on a new belt since that would mean removing the prop.

Pulley is 2 3/4" dia. and case ear holes are 6 1/4 center to center. Distance between the ears by sharpie in last photo is 2 11/16"

getting the old one rebuilt if really my first choice but wouldn't you know I'm leaving on a long trip Wednesday.

thanks

4590217064_d6cde8bb73.jpg

4590217056_51b51b712a.jpg

4590217018_0842ee78cf.jpg

4590217036_a4f52f68f7.jpg

test time.........

Looks like a 55 amp Nippendenso.

Look for 87 Suzuki Samurai replacement unit......

this looks right. bring it to automotive store and have them test it. if its dead trade in as a core for above model suzuki. will come with some warranty. i have been using it for years. try to get some cool air blast tubes to it. turbo

Perfect

Thanks guys. It's lasted over 1000 hours so I guess I can't complain.

One more question

A buddy helping reached in and pulled the 12v wire off the back and I'm not sure which stud to put the wire back on.

Is it 1,2 or 3 or does it matter.

4590545928_5a46bcf5d2.jpg

can you look inside the black plug for some labeling of the pins?

Here is one source I found on the net:

On most ND three pin plug style alternators the pins are marked as "L" / "S" / "IG" The only other connection is usually a large single post terminal marked "B" This is the main wire connected to your battery and is hot at all times.

The three others are fairly easy to understand.

"IG" This is the Ignition wire and issues the "wake up" to energise the circuit when ignition is switched on

"L" This terminal is connected through to the charge warning light on your instrument cluster

"S" This terminal is connected to your battery source and is hot at all times, it may even be connected to the main wire on the large B terminal in the loom but more often to the battery through a fusible link

got it

I did find a schematic of the back of the alternator and the "S" pin is the one I'm looking for.

Nothing on the "ig" post? The regulator needs to be excited with 12 volts to work, somehow, that post need to get 12v for the alt to produce power.

Van's Aircraft website...

...in the download or Service Letter section has details of their 60A alternator wiring change that shows which tab gets the wire.

New alternator

I would recomend a new plane power alternator. They seem to last alot longer than any rebuilt auto or aero alternator. If you go with the auto option ensure the unit you get is new or at least has all new internals with reused case. Unlike overhauled aero units, plain "rebuilt" auto alternators suffer from no objective standards and low quality control during there "rebuild" process. In the Lycoming powerplants I maintain for a flight school, I have switched to Plane Power alternators and Sky tech 149NL starters and have been very pleased with their high reliabilaity and low cost to overhaul when the engine reaches TBO. Best of Luck, Russ

Pull the brushes

By far the most common failure is worn brushes which can be pulled off the back..You can usually replace them for under $5 which I have found is worth trying before doing anything else as it fixes the alternator 95% of the time.

Frank