ron sterba

Well Known Member
I took delivery of a new IO320 from lyc 14 months ago. Still band wrapped in orginal crate and box. My 9A is taking me longer than I thought. I hope to have its first flight next August. Is there anything I should do now like open the crate and do something with the engine or sell it and but another when I'am ready? Some say I have 2 years on factory pickle. Whats your scope.
Ron

Depends on factors such as humidity. My pickled Lycoming went from 1996 to 2004 when it was installed on the airplane. At that time, two A&P's pulled all cylinders for a wrist pin AD. The insides looked like they just came off the assembly line without a hint of rust. Plane didn't fly until 2008, and the engine is a very strong performer. I live in Utah, where humidity readings average on the lower end. A Lyc rep at Oshkosh in 1997 mentioned that my pickled engine could last a long time, due to my location.

L.Adamson ---RV6A

Thanks for that sobering thought. Really helps. I live in Oregon and acually May thru Oct is low in air moisture. Don't tell to many people because we don't want them to move here. Nov & DEC are our damp months. Did you at all open your engine package during those early years? Thanks Ron

Ron:

I had my Lycoming in the box for four years. On the advice of Lycoming, I never touched it and left it in the box. Once mounted and ready, it started on the second crank and has run perfectly since. You'll want to be aware of two things:

1. Do not take it out of the bag until you're ready to install and do not rotate the engine. Some people think they need to turn the engine every now and then to let the preservative oil re-coat the parts. According to my conversation with Lycoming, they recommend just leave it as it was shipped (sealed and stationary) until you're ready to install it.

2. Warranty. The Lycoming warranty is two years. The clock will start sometime after Van ships it to you (I seem to recall it's a year after receipt or first engine run whichever occurs first). In my case I didn't run the engine until after I had it four years. Once I ran the engine, I immediately noticed an oil leak which was traced to an improperly manufactured oil filter adapter on the engine case. Lycoming denied my warranty claim saying the engine was out of warranty. So read your warranty papers for their current conditions. If you let the engine sit for several years, it will probably be out of warranty. Too bad, because otherwise the engine has been great but my opinion of Lycoming is less so.

Chris

Thanks Chris. That helps ALOT! You covered all my bases. According to Vans I can't sell it but I might be able to sell it to KNOWN kit builder of VANS so its said. The reason is the discounted buy on the engine by VANS from LYC and I understand that. So I think I'll be OK. Thanks again.

Ron

Thanks for that sobering thought. Really helps. I live in Oregon and acually May thru Oct is low in air moisture. Don't tell to many people because we don't want them to move here. Nov & DEC are our damp months. Did you at all open your engine package during those early years? Thanks Ron

The engine stayed in the box and wrapped.............as shipped.

L.Adamson --- RV6A