pierre smith

Well Known Member
Hi guys, my 430 always draws a course line from my location to the destination and I can't find the instructions to change it to a track line, like my 496, where it always draws a line from my present position to the destination. Is it even possible with a 430W?

Thanks,

On my 696, I can hit the "direct to" button, and then "enter" to activate the present waypoint or airport that will be flashing. Looking at the quick guide for the 430, it looks to be the same. You can get the quick guide by googleing 430 & instructions.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Don't tell anyone but my understanding of all the capabilities of the 430W are probably in the under 5% area. So what I do if I get off the line is hit the GoTo button then Enter twice to recenter the line.

Is there a better way? Possibly.

Hi guys, my 430 always draws a course line from my location to the destination and I can't find the instructions to change it to a track line, like my 496, where it always draws a line from my present position to the destination. Is it even possible with a 430W?

It sounds like you have enabled the "Bearing Line" option on your 496, which causes the unit to draw a line from your present position to the active waypoint. This feature is kind of a holdover from marine and land-based products, and isn't supported in the panel-mount units or the newer portables.

mcb

Help educate me here. What is the difference between the course line and the track line?

I thought I knew the 430/530 series fairly well.

George

Matt is correct.....

...it is the 'bearing' line. I've pressed D-to and hit enter quite a few times. I'd really rather it draws the bearing line from my present position but I guess it can't do it.

Thanks,

Pierre, I have never seen a course line on the 430. When you hit "direct to enter" it draws a line from current position to the waypoint. If the airplane gets off of that line, it is displayed as being off of that line. Nothing more.

Vic

Pierre, I have never seen a course line on the 430. When you hit "direct to enter" it draws a line from current position to the waypoint. If the airplane gets off of that line, it is displayed as being off of that line. Nothing more.

Vic

Unless you fly IFR

Well, I spoke to Garmin....

...a little while ago and they said that you can't do that with the 430W and he believed that it had to do with certification. He mentioned that they have more leeway with the X96 handhelds, since they're not certed.

Best,