Toobuilder

Well Known Member
I found a fuel leak on the tank outlet (wing root) B nut last night, but as I was turning it with the wrench it became apparent that the tank fitting itself was turning. Sure enough, the jam nut securing the fitting to the tank was a bit loose as well. I tightened the jam nut and then got a little bit more on the B nut ? good news: the leak is fixed. Bad news, I turned the fitting itself a few degrees and I?m thinking my pickup tube is no longer at the bottom of the tank.

Since I don?t have the plans and have never seen inside an -8 tank, does anyone have a picture or drawing (or link to one) handy so that I can see what is going on in there?

Thanks.

If in doubt

Bad news, I turned the fitting itself a few degrees and I?m thinking my pickup tube is no longer at the bottom of the tank.

Thanks.

It would be well worth the time to pump out the fuel into some cans. Then you can drain the rest with the quick drain. That way you will KNOW (not be guessing) whether the pickup is okay. Easier than taking the tank off, or the inspection plate off.

It would be well worth the time to pump out the fuel into some cans. Then you can drain the rest with the quick drain. That way you will KNOW (not be guessing) whether the pickup is okay. Easier than taking the tank off, or the inspection plate off.

That's an excellent point. Will certainly give me quick piece of mind until I can determine if the anti-rotation bracket and lockwire are there.

yep

If it is rotated, you'll have to drain the tank anyway to fix it. So you're not really wasting any effort.

Fuel system issues are one of the areas that get my FULL attention. They tend to be way up on the list of accident causers.

Another point here is that if the anti-rotation bracket is installed, there should be a couple of rivets securing them to that cover. You should be able to see the rivet heads from outside the cover, assuming there not too covered up with Proseal.

The fact that the line rotated at all probably means there's no bracket. Was this aircraft built before the service bulletin came out?

Remove the fuel drain fitting and drain the gas.
Then just look up into the tank through the drain and see if the pickup is there against the tank bottom.
If the anti rotation sb has not been complied with, you should do it, in my opinion.
Good luck.

......anyone have a picture....handy so that I can see what is going on in there?....

The anti-rotation brackets were included in my 2005 RV8 wing kit. YMMV.

2mo48yd.jpg

My wing kit was a before the S/B so I had to make my own brackets. The only tricky part was drilling the B-nuts for safety wire.

21ec76b.jpg

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB