comfortcat

Well Known Member
Friend
Greetings!

I just got my key switch (off, left, right, both, start) for my project, and HOW THE HECK do you create a hole in the panel for that?

Dkb

David, you start off with a small, round hole and then use a half-round file to make the eccentric by hand.

Best,

If this is an ACS switch -

take the ACS overlay (left/tight/both/start) - trace the hole cutout on the panel. - this has the anti-rotation "prong" on it.

You'll note the hole isn't exactly round - take a 3/4 inch hole template, butt one side of the hole against the side opposite the notch - use this to locate the center of the hole cutout - use a unibit to cut out the 3/4 inch hole

This doesn't have to be exact, as you can use a dremel to grind down to your carved hole, and jeweler's file to carve out the "prong."

Now, I did this on a round piece of .063 metal to try it out before doing it on my panel, worked great.

MY question to the aerosport carbon panel folks - should I reinforce the ignition cutout on the panel with this piece of metal glued/epoxied to the carbon fiber? Not sure the panel is strong enough by itself. ALong the same lines, are people reinforcing the control cable cutouts in this panel (vernier style) with aluminum sheet as well? I did so with nutplates and sheet aluminum on the flap switch, aerosport switches, and "environmental panel" with push-pull heater cables, defrost, overhead console control....

Hole

Drill a round hole , buy a extra plate from ACS ( cheap ) rivet plate with flush rivets . The plate has the anti-rotation tab built on it .
Tom

The best solution I've found to this dilemma is two toggle switches and a pushbutton. :)

Well, I will agree to this. That switch is a failure in engineering. It has way too many parts and has failed in HOT mag mode many times. As far as security, that key blank is used on many of the cheap locks around. Try some keys and you will see.

There are far better ways to secure your starter system.

MY question to the aerosport carbon panel folks - should I reinforce the ignition cutout on the panel with this piece of metal glued/epoxied to the carbon fiber? Not sure the panel is strong enough by itself. ALong the same lines, are people reinforcing the control cable cutouts in this panel (vernier style) with aluminum sheet as well? I did so with nutplates and sheet aluminum on the flap switch, aerosport switches, and "environmental panel" with push-pull heater cables, defrost, overhead console control....

Good news, Sean Strasburg is local, so you can see an example first hand.

For the ignition, I didn't do anything other than cutting the hole for the acs switch and using the acs bezel. The carbon is pretty strong. You can check out Geoff's photo section to look at other examples. I have it on good authority that there should be more photos online by the weekend.

For flaps, the environmental area on the right, and special customized area (similar to Sean), I used a aluminum insert of the same gauge of the panel insert. This was more for cosmetic reasons rather than structural. I painted them all the same contrasting color from the panel.

For installing Geoff's switches, you don't need anything else either. You'll find that they are going to be pretty snug.

I installed a throttle quadrant, so I can't answer your question about the throttle controls. However, I don't recall anyone reinforcing these either. I believe that the washers and nuts that come with your cables should be adequate.

Email me if you need further assistance with the panel. While I don't work for Geoff, I do assist him with a variety of tasks.

Bob