jimbower

Well Known Member
After installing the tip-up canopy on my -6A, I discovered that it doesn't fit properly.http://www.vansairforce.com/community/images/smilies/frown.gif It follows the contours of the fuselage just fine on the passenger side, but sticks out almost 1/4" on the pilot's side. I have a photo of this, but don't know how to add it to this post. I can send it to any interested parties.

I did NOT build my airplane like this, but it seems to have happened since the last time the canopy was on the airplane (I have taken a very long time to build). A friend suggested that storing the canopy (on two sawhorses) for a long time caused it to sag, which may have contributed to the poor fit on one side.

I would really appreciate any ideas on how to fix this without removing the plexi from the canopy frame. If indeed the canopy sagged over time, can it be brought back into shape without cracking the bubble? I'd rather live with this bad fit than break the glass. Thanks in advance.

Jim Bower
RV-6A Sloooooow build
St. Louis, MO

Not from personal experience (this time!) but I read in a canopy blog that an effort to bend the frame of a slider to improve the fit by narrowing the canopy, with plexigalss installed, resulted in broken (I think "exploded" was the word used) plexiglass - so, do not do that!
Bill Brooks
Ottawa Canada
RV-6A finishing

Canopy - bad fit (the one I threw)

My friend's suggestion was to first put a space heater in the cockpit with the canopy closed, raising the temperature to over 100 degrees. I assume it would be a good idea to allow it to heat soak for some time. Next, apply pressure to the raised area to help it back into shape. This seems intuitive, but I doubt there's a reliable way to ensure the canopy is warm enough to tolerate attempts at changing its shape. Additionally, I don't know if it's possible to force the aluminum frame back to ITS original shape. This occurred over a period of years, and even plate glass will sag over a long time.