N941WR

Legacy Member
Get yer mind out of the gutter!

I'm looking for a 8-32 machine screw with a wingnut style head. Only I would like the "wingnut" to fold over. Do any of you know where I might find such a thing?

The reason is I have mounted my ELT under the baggage compartment floor and I would like to be able to access it w/o using a screw driver.

Thanks for the help.

Do any of you know where I might find such a thing?

Maybe something like this would work. If not, I'd bet you'd find something somewhere else on their site that wouyld work...

James Freeman

Me too need info

anybody know the tiny screws are that go in the "Fairings Etc" fairings? the tiny sheet metal screw? or maybe a tiny S.S. machine screw?

I've lost all of them. they're all installed just lost those tiny ones that hold them together.

Hey Mark,

Try a local hobby shop that sells model airplanes. They will have a lot of small screws. Also a good Ace Hdwr store.

Roberta

flyeyes said:
Maybe something like this would work. If not, I'd bet you'd find something somewhere else on their site that wouyld work...

James Freeman

James,

Thanks for the info, I've looked at those and they stick up to high. I've contacted a number of suppliers, including McMaster, and am not getting anywhere.

It looks like I'll just have to use pan head screws. :(

Couple of thoughts

Mcmaster Carr was down, so I couldn't check... Those are usually called "wing screws" or "thumb screws". I'd try google with those phrases and "folding" or other combinations. Lowes has some special "fasteners" in the middle of their hardware section in little pull out bins, have your tried that?

Alan,

I've exchanged emails with Mcmaster Carr and they have never heard of the type of screw I'm looking for. No Joy there.

John,

Good idea on the velco but I believe the bagage compartment floor is structural, thus I would like to screw it down. That coupled with the narrow width of the rib flanges would present a challenge to install a DZUS and I have already installed nut plates.

Last edited:
Interesting Challenge

Bill,
You may be forced to *MAKE* what you want. OH NO! :eek:

If I were facing the same challenge, I 'd try a fillister head screw with a safety wire type hole drilled in the head and then spiral in a small spring steel wire hoop for a handle. A 2-stroke piston pin circlip comes to mind but there may be other small circular spring steel wires to use. A Spirolox ring perhaps.

Edit: I went to Spirolox and saw that they make more than the ring I had in mind. The specific style I was referring to is here:
http://www.spirolox.com/rings/rr/

GFL! :D

Last edited:
mark manda said:
anybody know the tiny screws are that go in the "Fairings Etc" fairings? the tiny sheet metal screw? or maybe a tiny S.S. machine screw?

I've lost all of them. they're all installed just lost those tiny ones that hold them together.

Mark,
I have the farings from fairing ect. on my 7. The little sheet metal screws that holds the joint together (at least on mine) keep working out. I put a 8-32 nutpalte on the backside with JB Weld. I tapped it first with an 8-32 tap to make it work easier. It doesn't take a lot to hold it. (you could use a 6-32) I used 8-32 S.S. flat head screws (PXM -850) and A3135-SS-017 washers from Airparts Inc.

rjsflyer said:
Bill,
I'm looking for the same thing for my ELT door. I found these Camloc fasteners but have not found a supplier yet.
Check out catalog pages B15-B17. I have seen these in stainless steel on some equipment that I work on in my day job. I think the plastic ones would be the best because they wouldn't scratch the finish on the door.

http://www.alcoa.com/fairchild_fasteners/catalog/pdf/Camloc_RAM-B.pdf

Rick Schwandt
RV-9A Fuselage
www.rjsflyer.com
Rick,

That is some cool stuff and very close to what I (we?) need. I'm going to keep looking and will let y'all know what I find.

Thanks for all the help.

Bump

It has been almost a year since I posted this and with all the new members I thought I would bump it up to see if any of the new members know where I might find the screws I desire.

Thanks for the help!