Jack Tyler

Well Known Member
I wasn't able to surface this using 'search' and the existing thread I posted this Q in is very old, so hopefully this will produce an answer:

I'm 'inheriting' (via an a/c purchase) a Garmin SL60 GPS/Com. The current owner hasn't used the unit - not once - in 6 years of ownership so the data is terribly dated. I've initially queried Garmin and searched Jepp & Garmin's sites without finding any info. Other posts here seem to suggest one uses a pigtail and some Garmin software to download, then upload fresh data...but the current owner has no such software nor pigtail (perhaps lost before his purchase) and Garmin doesn't offer the software online by the name in the manual that's on-line. So...I'm kinda stuck and hoped another SL60 (or similar) owner might be able to provide some direction. Many thanks for whatever you can offer...

Jack

You have to build the cable....

I have a similar set-up in my -4. When I last updated the database, I spoke with Garmin. They did not have a cable to sell, but directed me to the manual (user or install, I forget) that had sufficient info in a schematic to build the cable. I ended up borrowing one from another user, but did not feel it would have been hard to make. In addition you need some software (Garmin emailed it to me) in addition to the database update, and you need a 12 volt power supply.

To complete the update, you need the software, the SL 60, the power supply all set up next to your computer. It is a bit cumbersome, so I don't do it very often. The tech help at Garmin, however, was very helpful.

Good luck,

Dean

Dean, that's excellent coaching! Thanks so much. Still trying to 'reach out and touch' Garmin but now I have a clearer sense of what I need them for.

Where does the new data come from? Jepp, Garmin, or Vendor C?

Many thanks,

Jack

SL60 data update

Hi Jack,

When I last did it, the data came from Garmin. I cannot recall how I received the data. I tend to believe it was a download via an internet connection.

Good luck,

Dean

I think you might want to contact these guys. Larry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apollo Aviation

Monday?Friday: 8 AM?4:30 PM Pacific Time (closed holidays)
U.S.: 503-391-3411
U.S. Toll-free: 1-800-525-6726

FYI another lead I was given is to contact Garmin AT, apparently a separate company that manages expired product line software and data.

Thanks for all the leads, guys...

Jack