iowaflyer

I'm looking at an already built RV-4. The text to the ad on barnstormers is below (Unfortunately, I can't link to the ad, but it's the bright yellow one located in MN). The plane was professionally built. Any thoughts? This price seem quite a bit high. I'd appreciate any tips as far as things to look for when evaluating a used rv-4.

RV-4 ? $59,000 ? FOR SALE ? 2007 RV-4, 80 hrs TT, 0-320 160 hp, plasma ignition, Tanis heater, strobe lights, landing light, electric flaps, removable stick in rear seat, Dynon d180 glass panel w/egt, Garmin 320 transponder, EZ pilot auto pilot coupled to Garmin 90, 2 place intercom. $59000

If the engine truly has only 80 hours on it and it is not rebuilt, it is a fair price. Try building one for that. Having said that, in this market it is priced pretty strong.

Seems a bit steep, but it's a pretty 'new' one. Honestly, you have to have a pre-buy to determine build quality. If it's a soundly/nicely built airplane, it'll be worth that to someone.

Let's see.
Engine 20k+
kit, etc 20k+
paint, avionics, tools 20k++
Total: at least 60k (+ 5 years + shop ++)

:)

This plane has low hours, so you probably don't need to look for a lot of the things that some of the more seasoned RV-4's have, like cracks in the rudder skin, firewall issues, etc... Having said that, the -4's are not matched-hole kits and the build quality can vary greatly, arguably more so than the newer kits. I found some real junk in my recent search for a -4. Paying someone that knows what they are looking for to do a thorough pre-buy inspection is a great investment, IMHO. And not to insult the seller, but I'd take "professionally built" with a grain of salt - it's pretty easy to write stuff like that on the Internet.

Best of luck finding a plane - the search can be a pain, but it is soooooooo worth it!

I'd take "professionally built" with a grain of salt - it's pretty easy to write stuff like that on the Internet.

I always find it interesting to see an "Amateur-Built Aircraft" advertised as "Professionally Built"! What's wrong with this statement?

for that price I would be wanting 360 and CS, but to build a "new 4" at todays prices it will cost more than that.

best advise I got was to match mission and budget and then find the plane that suits you rather than look for a bargain buy.

Personally I think price is a little steep:) but that just based on current market. It a good price for what you getting assuming build is good. Go fly it and neg....

Last edited: