digidocs

Well Known Member
We've been in the market for a house and recently found two that my wife and I liked:

- The first one was a redone but older house with a two car garage
- The second was a very nicely redone house but with *no garage*

I'm sure that all of your that are married can guess which one we chose. ;) So now my RV-10 needs a new home.

Two constraints:
- the space will allow for about 16x20' of interior area and 15' max height
- pier and beam structure (getting equipment in for a slab would be difficult)

Otherwise the sky is the limit, lets hear those good ideas!

Thanks,
David

I built my 24' X 24' 1 1/2 story cape cod style heated/cooled garage with 16" wood I-beams. Not having support posts is nice and this would be the minimum size. Doing it myself kept the cost down. If you can save enough on the one house to build a garage that would be my choice. Have fun either way. It is so worth it!

If you can find a nearby hangar, that might work. Even if the plane isn't ready to need a hangar, they are often rarely available, and worth snatching up when found just to have for then needed - and they make good shops.

Dave

I built my 24' X 24' 1 1/2 story cape cod style heated/cooled garage with 16" wood I-beams. Not having support posts is nice and this would be the minimum size. Doing it myself kept the cost down. If you can save enough on the one house to build a garage that would be my choice. Have fun either way. It is so worth it!

I agree. Build as large as you can with no support posts. Also, include some windows, the more the better. Good lighting is fine, but nothing beats real daylight as background lighting. Running water is also nice (a must in my opinion) and doesn't add much in terms of cost when building from scratch.

I just built a 24 by 24 garage. I put in a 9' by 16' front door and a 7' high by 9' wide in the back. Plus I have 3 windows and a walk in door with window. I can open up everything and get a great cross breeze, plus it is great for light. I wired it up with a 50 amp breaker and a gas line for a heater.

not sure what you mean by pier beam structure. Why not a pole barn and pre-manufactured trusses? Then pour a slab. They can pump concrete a long distance (I think). Pole Barns are nice because they get around some city codes, like a foundation for buildings over a certain square footage.

Have fun. I just finished benches and almost done running lines for compressor. Wing kit in 3 weeks.

ken