mciaglia

Well Known Member
I have been reading all the threads here on VAF (paid my dues since the information is invaluable). So...I have always wanted to build my own plane ever since helping my dad when I was a kid build our Christen Eagle II (now sold). A lot different looking at these threads, that was a lot of wood & fabric with a little sheet metal work. So here is where I need a little assistance. I planned on building an RV-10, but every time I take my wife flying in the good 'ol C172 she gets sick within 10 minutes (should have check this before proposing). So those weekend trips I had thought of planning so spontaneously don't seem to fit. I don't think it is worth building the -10 and spending that kinda $$$ when its prob easier to call United or Delta to go on a quick trip. That being said, I am thinking about the -8 (tail wheel). Any suggestions from guys that ultimately build themselves the plane, rather than building it for the family.

Future RV-???

Mark

Help

I started flying about 7 years ago , my first ride in a RV was with Dick Martin in his 8 . I mentioned I was thinking of building a 7 , he said you must be married !
Then went on to tell me my wife will probably never fly with me so build an 8 .
I purchased a Cessna 120 to get some Tailwheel time , 200 hrs and the wife flew with me once . Sold Cessna bought Skybolt Biplane , 200 hrs in the Skybolt the wife NEVER was in it . Sold Skybolt to finish my RV8 .
It's my toy , that I enjoy . Been married for over 20 years .
Build the 8 , have fun with the guys , let her do her thing .
Tom

I have built and flew a rans s-7 for 600 hrs. Wife flew with me quite a bit, it never bothered her to be sitting in the back.tandems offer very good visibility out of both sides. Sold it and. Now building a 8. I like tandem seating and taildraggers, that is why I made the choice, not because anyone else wanted me to build it. It is a personal choice. I respect others and their choices. My wife likes flying with me, so I am blessed in that way. So..... Build the airplane that most appeals to you, and I don't think you will regret it.

Bird

Thanks for the great words of advice. any guys with -8's in the Houston area? I fly out of Hooks.
Mark

Airsickness treatment

My wife is very sensitive to motion sickness so she gets perscription scopalamine patches and they work good for her. A little dry mouth is the only side effect, no sleepiness. Flown trips between HOU and Central FL without problems.

Never tried letting her fly. That might be a good solution. Will try the patches next time as well.

Cool, smooth day. Load her with wrist bands, patches, a shot of ginger ale, and then get her to fly. Give her simple tasks to keep her focused like "follow this road and stay at 4500'".

That being said, I am thinking about the -8 (tail wheel). Any suggestions from guys that ultimately build themselves the plane, rather than building it for the family.

You're right to think about it, because there is room for optimization.

My current -8 was built with a specific mission in mind...hauling Ms. Patti and all her stuff on fast weekend getaways, while maintaining a maximum climb rate in order to reach cool air quickly. So, 390, Hartzell metal prop, optimized climb cooling, and a fastback for easy rear seat access and a big rear baggage compartment.

An -8 built with another primary mission might be different. If I expected lots of solo acro for example, I'd install a 180 parallel valve and a composite prop to reduce stick forces, and I'd maintain cooling optimized for climb. A racer might have a prop extension, high Vi/Vo inlets, a variable exit, a separate air circuit for the oil cooler, and few dozen more tweaks.

That said, any simple, lightweight, dead stock RV is a lot of fun.

Never tried letting her fly. That might be a good solution. Will try the patches next time as well.

Agreed +1. When my wife and I were dating I decided to take her for her first small plane ride, and show her all the cool commercial manuevers I was learning. Not a good idea! Her solution was to learn to fly, and is now instrument and commercial rated.

Make sure your wife has good outside visibilty(seat cushions if she is short), light meal an hour or 2 before light, encourage her to take the controls(or, if she is timid, follow through with you at the controls).Stay cool when she messes up(she will). Don't yell; she is not your scrub nurse. Keep the flights short. She might find a right seater course helpful, and/or do better with an instructor, than with you.

Jim Berry
RV-10