Hello,
I have a quick question which seems to have perplexed a few of my co-workers (some of who are A&Ps). I acquired a lycoming 320 engine with some strange cylinders. It appears to have three different types of cylinders installed on it. One is most definitely a steel bore, one is definitely a chrome (spider "cracks"), and the other two are the strange ones. They both have about 200 hours on them and their cylinder walls are a grey/very light blue color not light blue like overheating, but it appears to be a coating. After looking at the logbooks, they appear to be Nuchrome cylinders but they look different than any other chrome cylinder I have seen before. I have attached a picture, it is not the greatest picture, but I am struggling to figure out the wall type....

As a caveat, they could be the "new" nitride steel, which I have never seen before.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Mel thanks for the reply, but these cylinders have been repainted since new, I tried to scratch away at the paint where the stripe goes, but I could not see the under color.

If only there were a way to attach a picture.....

You do not "attach" a photo, you insert a link to a site where the photo is hosted, Picasa is one of them, and the one I use.

After getting the photo hosted, you copy the URL address, and past it into the window that will open when you click the "insert image" icon above the text box, it looks like a yellow square with a mountain in it, with the sun above.

Good luck, also there is a tutorial just above the round green button on the left of the screen.

Nuchrome is like cermichrome. They don't have visible porosity cracks in the surface like channel chrome.
Good Luck,
Mahlon