Flyyak

Well Known Member
Friend
Just installed Garmin 650xi in place of a 430W. Good news is that there was no smoke when powered up. Bad news is that Section 5 of installation manual is way above my head. I have a dual screen non touch G3X, GMA240 audio and a GTX23ES transponder that talked flawlessly with the 430W. I am sure that others have upgraded navigators in a like manner, so is there a checklist available to help with 429 ARNIC and RS232 settings and other settings. I could not locate my equipment in the equipment list in the installation manual.

I had a pin to pin drawing from the 430 pins to the 650 pins and I was very careful to remove one pin at a time and reinstall each pin in 650 connectors as they were removed. I was required to add additional power and ground wires but I think all went well. I have COM just at a loss with configuration.

I also had previously installed a pin/wire in GSU73 for a go around button but it was not supported by the 430. Will the 650 support the go around function?

GTN 650 Xi Configuration

Just installed Garmin 650xi in place of a 430W. Good news is that there was no smoke when powered up. Bad news is that Section 5 of installation manual is way above my head. I have a dual screen non touch G3X, GMA240 audio and a GTX23ES transponder that talked flawlessly with the 430W. I am sure that others have upgraded navigators in a like manner, so is there a checklist available to help with 429 ARNIC and RS232 settings and other settings. I could not locate my equipment in the equipment list in the installation manual.

I had a pin to pin drawing from the 430 pins to the 650 pins and I was very careful to remove one pin at a time and reinstall each pin in 650 connectors as they were removed. I was required to add additional power and ground wires but I think all went well. I have COM just at a loss with configuration.

I also had previously installed a pin/wire in GSU73 for a go around button but it was not supported by the 430. Will the 650 support the go around function?

You can find the configuration information for interfacing a GTN 650/Xi to the G3X Touch on page 27-40 of the G3X Touch Installation Manual. This provides all of the configuration settings you will need for both units to support communication between the two.

Yes the GTN will support a TO/GA input, by assigning a discrete input to Remote Go Around. If you have GSA 28 servos installed in your aircraft, you can use a DPST switch to provide a ground to both the G3X Touch and the GTN discrete inputs to provide the TO/GA command to both the autopilot and the navigator at the same time.

Please feel free to shoot us an email at [email protected] if you would like, we are happy to help.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks. I spoke to a member this AM with G3xpert and received this info. I have configured and will soon try a test flight.