luke42179

Are there any RV-6 builders out there near San Diego CA (Brown field) who would like to come take a look at an RV-6a that I'm going to view tomorrow - Sunday 2/16 at noon? If the time doesn't work, we could arrange another - that's just when I'm first going to look at it.

I'm just look for an (free) informed opinion on whether the plane is worth spending the money on a full A&P prepurchase evaluation. Any referrals to an RV-experienced A&P would be appreciated too.

Please give me a call on my cell: 925-788-6700

Many thanks,

Luke
Prospective RV-6a buyer :D

also . . .

If anyone has some advice on things to pay special attention to when checking out the aircraft. At this point I am just looking for red flags so I can determine if the aircraft is worth the money to pay an A&P to give it a thorough prepurchase evaluation.

thanks

When I bought mine

Hi,

I wouldn't be a good one to check it out, but when I bought mine here is what I did. I got a list of the equipment and then had him take my daughter for a ride as I was not in the area. (I am in California and the plane was in Oregon.)
She sent detailed pictures that helped some, but then I had Wally at Synergy air do a pre-buy inspection. I trust him quite a bit. He gave me his candid opinion on what was good, and what was bad. You won't find a perfect one. I was pretty serious before Wally took a look at it, but had he given me a negative report, I would not have bought it. Afterwards I went to Oregon and flew with the owner and looked everything over.

So if you are serious and this is equipped the way you want for the price, then take a look yourself and go fly with the owner. If you like it and get a good feel for it, then maybe somebody can recommend a person in southern California, even if it is not at Brown Field to take a look at it. Then based on the findings of the mechanic, make your choice. Don't be afraid to say no thanks if it isn't what you want or expect.

Van's website also has an article about buying a flying RV.

Thanks Bryan,

Good advice. I placed a deposit after looking/flying it today. Now I need to find someone to do the prebuy

Cheers,

Luke