Dave Taylor

Well Known Member
Guess who bucked these rivets on my wing skin yesterday?

My 8 year old daughter! I present to you the world's newest bucking master :) She did an awesome job. She checked each and every rivet. She would tell me if I needed to just give it a short blast or a medium blast. She loves working on the airplane ;)

Rosie the riviter!

What a great helper, and nice work!

I have two helpers-in-the-wings, my 11 and 14 year old daughters, and my wing riveting session is coming up in the next few months.

What was your set up? Back rivet with a big mushroom bucking bar, or standard with a mushroom set on the gun? If so, what sort of bar did you use? I want it to be an easy and successful riveting session, regardless of who my helper is!

Setup

Bill,
We started out by back riveting the spar. She did outstanding. I couldn't use the back rivet set on the ribs because it was my back rivet set is too short to get a good angle. I asked her if she wanted to try her hand at bucking. She was anxious to get started. Here is the bucking bar I used back riveting and traditional bucking:

It's awesome that you have two helpers! I have a 20 year old and a 17 year that could give a hoot about the airplane. They are always ribbing me about how I will never finish the airplane. But not my 8 year old. She's already talking paint schemes ;0)

What a great helper, and nice work!

I have two helpers-in-the-wings, my 11 and 14 year old daughters, and my wing riveting session is coming up in the next few months.

What was your set up? Back rivet with a big mushroom bucking bar, or standard with a mushroom set on the gun? If so, what sort of bar did you use? I want it to be an easy and successful riveting session, regardless of who my helper is!

Dave, Enjoy it while you can. When my youngest was 8 I had to run her out of the shop once because she wanted to abandon her own birthday party to help. Now, 15 years later, she's so "busy" that I have go on Facebook just to have any contact at all.:confused:

Hurry up and get to the bottom skins while her arms are still small enough to fit through the aft lightening hole in the main ribs!;)

Good advice Miles. When I dropped her off at school today she asked if she could buck some "ribbons" tonight. I'll take it for as long as I can get it!

Dave, Enjoy it while you can. When my youngest was 8 I had to run her out of the shop once because she wanted to abandon her own birthday party to help. Now, 15 years later, she's so "busy" that I have go on Facebook just to have any contact at all.:confused:

Hurry up and get to the bottom skins while her arms are still small enough to fit through the aft lightening hole in the main ribs!;)

Sage advice

Good advice Miles. When I dropped her off at school today she asked if she could buck some "ribbons" tonight. I'll take it for as long as I can get it!