ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi gang.

Today, I was out flying with my -7 which has a AFS 3500 EFIS (non-S CPU).

A minute or two after t/o, I noticed that the attitude-info, wind-info and the heading info was WAY off: the compass where slowly rotating CW at what seemed to be a constant rate of approx 1 minute per 360*.

The wind-info was indicating somewhere beetween 80 and 250 kts, changing all the time.

In addition, the attitude (both in pitch and bank) where slowly drifting up and down; +/- approx 60*

The IAS and altitude where correct.
The FPM also seemed correct in relation to the horizon-line.

The info displayed on the EFIS from the Garmin 296 where correct (track etc)

After landing, I checked the compass-align page: it said "compass align is correct" but this was NOT true since the compass continued to rotate CW slowly after parking.

On Monday, I'll contact AFS ofcourse, but that's several days away yet. In the meanwhile, I'm wondering if any of you AFS users have seen similar symtomes before?

Can this be a AHRS failure maybe? Or maybe a compass-sensor failure?

Below is a few VERY crappy pics. It was a very gusty day and I only had my cell for pics, so sorry for the quality... but you'll get an idea.

ALL the following pics where taken during straight and level flight!

315hcax.jpg

kw50p.jpg

11h70ph.jpg

vpfgk3.jpg

Sooo people; anyone have an idea to what's going on with my trusty AFS EFIS??

Last edited:
Yes.

I did a complete shutdown and restart then it seemed to come back to normal.

Rob told me to download the latest software and it seemed to fix the issue.

I tested it with abrupt climbs and tight turns followed by quick reversals and all seems good now.

I do have the 5400 w/AHRS so I am not sure what software you may need for the 3500.

Hi Alf,

I managed to topple my AF4500 AHRS once (I was trying quite hard) and it looked like your pictures - but it did recover itself after 15 or 20 minutes of less aggressive manoeuvres. So does look like some kind of AHRS fault - but best email Rob on Monday.

Pete

Thanks for the inputs guys. Yep, I'll contact AFS on Monday then.

BTW: I respect the great work and products beeing done by AFS, and I'm sure they appreciate their off-time as everyone else, so I prefer not to bother them during their off-time. So Monday it'll be...

I'll report back here when the problem has been either ID'd or fixed.

AFS rocks!

I've been in contact with AFS now, and they said it was either the magnetometer or the AHRS.

The easiest thing to try, was to replace the magnetometer, so they have now shipped a new one to me at no cost!

That's really impressive customer care because I bought the 3500 EFIS from them in 2006!

The 3500 is long ago replaced by newer products, but needless to say, I'm a very happy AFS customer because they really are standing by their previous products. In my book, that's very important.

I'll report back when I've replaced the magnetometer.

Update

Here's an update:

Replacement of the magnetometer didn't do any good (I can't exactly say I LOVE the crawl into the aft section.... so I guess I must be getting old...) so I shipped the 3500 to AFS for replacement of the AHRS.

They found that the AHRS was bad, so they replaced it and yesterday it was shipped with FedEx Express from AFS.

I'm VERY happy with AFS! As you might know, they don't make the 3500 anymore, nor are the non-S CPU AHRS's made. But AFS still had a few AHRS'es in their shelf and where able to repair my 3500.

It's very good to know that there's still support for "old" products from 2005! :D
Both Rob and Tricia at AFS have been very helpful and I'm a happy camper now! And happy is also the new owner of my -7 who's idling around in Scottland, eagerly waiting to pick up his newly bought -7...

I'll post an update when the 3500 is in the plane and tested.