RV7Guy

Well Known Member
For those of you have a 7 or 9 with sliding canopy and have placed GPS/XM type antennas on the glare shield, I'd like to get the measurement from the edge of the glare shield.

I'm wrapping up wiring on my slider 7 and would like to set up the antenna locations while I have access to everything. I obviously don't know where the exact location of the forward wind screen will be yet, hence the reason for the question.

Thanks in advance!!!

Darwin,
Surprised you have not received an answer.
I don't have a measurement as I am not at the plane but I remember that I set the windshield in place before I decided on a location.
If you are beside the roll bar support slot you can't be too far forward. I have two antenna with one on each side of that support.

Regardless of final position.... think "service loop".
Later, you might be glad to have some extra cable tie wrapped in loops.
You have flexibility on final positioning.... and room to stretch when service is needed. Coax won't care if it is looped. Probably should not cut off excess either, if it is OEM cable and connector.

One other thought.... I read where some builders put it under the cowl. It is transparent to RF. But, hot in there too.
An idea might be to put it under the glareshield... and install a section of RF transparent material in a square cutout when you build the glareshield.
If it is covered by fabric or other... when completion is nearing... the cutout won't show.

Cowl

One other thought.... I read where some builders put it under the cowl. It is transparent to RF. But, hot in there too.
An idea might be to put it under the glareshield... and install a section of RF transparent material in a square cutout when you build the glareshield.
If it is covered by fabric or other... when completion is nearing... the cutout won't show.

On my previous 7 I had 3 mounted under the cowl. Worked great. This one will have a 390 and I'm trying to keep things to a minimum up there and that's why I'd like to mount them on the glare shield if possible.

I have completely re-engineered the front structure to provide access by removing the EFIS screens. Everything has a service loop too. This took lots of planning!!!

Not in a huge hurry but if you get a measurement that would be helpful. I won't be to the canopy part for a few more weeks.

Thanks!!

I have quite the antenna farm on my glare shield. 3 GPS, XM, and a zenonTRx
Hope to play hookie tomorrow early am and get you the dimension you need.