czechsix

Well Known Member
Guys,

I've been enjoying my trusty helmet during flight test but as the wx turns warmer I'm thinking I'll probably break down and get a good ANR headset. The head bucket is just too hot to wear when it gets into the upper 80's and beyond. The other thing I've noticed is that the Oregon Aero earseals in my helmet get extremely soft with higher temps and don't seem to seal as well as they do in wintertime....they're very comfortable (as advertised) but the ANR has a hard time keeping up with the noise level and I find it bothersome after several hours in the air. FWIW I have the Headsets Inc ANR in my helmet earcups and I imagine there are better systems available from the likes of Bose and Lightspeed.

So...I've been looking at ANR headsets and figure if I'm gonna spend some dough, might as well get a good one and only cry once. I'm sure Bose is the best but I can't quite believe the cost/benefit tradeoff is worth the $1K price tag. So I'm looking at Lightspeed's top-of-the-line Thirty 3G instead. It is cheap by comparison at about half the price of the Bose X (iPilot.com has the Thirty 3G for $559 with free shipping).

Couple questions: does anybody know if Lightspeed might have a better deal available at Oshkosh? If they have really good show specials it might be worth waiting...

Also, any pireps on the Thirty 3G series or similar high-end Lightspeed model would be appreciated. In general I've heard that Lightspeed headsets are comfortable and work well, sometimes break but have good factory support to replace parts. One of my hangarmates has a pair of well-used Lightspeeds that have the thin covering pealing away from the foam earseals and head cushions. Still works but looks like crap...

Thanks as always for the input,

--Mark Navratil
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
RV-8A N2D flying 25.0 hours now, first oil change just completed...

Try them all

One of the advantages to waiting is that you get the opportunity to try them all. No, I don't mean running from booth to booth. Lightspeed always has a booth that you can select whatever headset you like and compare them to the lightspeed headset you are interested in. They can also simulate noise from a number of different types of engines so your own environment can be simulated.

I have a set of 20 3Gs and wouldn't part with them. When the headband broke right before a trip, I contacted lightspeed and they asked me if I was comfortable removing and replacing the part myself, I told them yes, so they overnighted the part to me and I had my headset for the trip.

On the other hand, I know a number of people that wouldn't have anything other than the Bose and think the only reason the rest of us don't have them is we can't (or won't ) afford them. Test them side by side and see what you think with your own ears.

One last comment. I am fairly tall - 6'2" and I am a little concerned about the thickness my lightspeeds are going to add. I haven't flown in a 7 with them yet. I imagine I will be bumping the canopy in any kind of turbulence. So this could come into play for you too.

Stewart

Lightspeed vs David Clarks

I have a new Lightspeed 20XLc and a Helicopter David Clark that has been modified with the DC ANR system.

First of all, the David Clark beats just about everything in the passive noise reduction. It is heavy, definitely heavier than the 20XLc. That said, the DC is very comfortable and I do not notce the weight. The add-on ANR system is a bit more cumbersome than the Lightspeed because of the extra wire running to the ANR box that houses a 9 volt battery with a switch to turn on the ANR. One other feature that is missing in the DC (add-on) system is the audio input jack. There isn't one. So, cell phone interface is missing, but in the audio/stereo department, I use the ear-buds on my IPod Nano, inside the DC earcups and get pretty good sound that way. BTW, it makes no difference whether the ANR is turned on or off to the stereo IPod sound inside the DC earcups.

The Lightspeed headset is lighter and the earcups seem much smaller than the DC units. It does not take long to get used to it though. The hard shell of the earcups is not as extensive or massive as the DC units. Rather, the foam padding is much deeper and extends out from the hard cups for a much greater distance than the DC gel pads.

My partner and I did a comparison today in a Cessna 172. He had never experienced ANR before and was blown away by the noise reduction capabilities of both units. He used the Lightspeed first, and thought that the ATC voice sound was better than with the DClarks, after we switched headsets. I pesonally prefer the David Clarks and used them all the way to Oshkosh last year in an RV-4. I had a bit of a squeal in one earpiece, but I still preferred the DC to the Lightspeed and I had them both available. One reason for that was that the Lightspeed has a higher profile and it was brushing the top of the canopy. The David Clark fit better and I just liked it better. BTW, I had the squeal repaired when I got back N/C.

I would have liked the Auxilliary audio input which the Lightspeed has though, and then I could have called my wife on the cell phone and talked to her through the headset, while still monitoring ATC.

I will say one thing about the Lightspeed. If I had to do it again, I would get the QFRc Cross Country model which is cheaper than the 20XL and the 30XL. I would still buy the Lightspeed though for a second headset and my partner likes it better than the DC, so, it's whatever YOU like best.

Probably, the QFRc gives the best bang for the buck of all the ANR headsets. I've used the QFRc too and really liked them.

Cheers, Pete

Southern Hemisphere opinion

Mark,
I see you are an Avionics Eng. so I won't comment on performance of the different available sets.
Will say, however, I went for the ubiquitous DCs and chose the H20-10XP because they have a SINGLE lead (from a Jackbox) that includes not only Mic and Phones but also power for the ANR.

Only wish I could find a cordless version.
Pete.

Lightspeed 30 3G vs Bose

Hi,

I faced similar problems. When I started the phase I on my RV I knew that my old passive DCs wouldn't cut it, so I purchased a lightspeed 30 3G. I like it very much, pretty comfy with great noise stopping.

When I could first take my wife up in the RV, I had her wear the 30 3Gs to see how she liked em before buying a second pair. She said, great plane - not too loud - but I hate 'that clamping feeling'. Don't get me wrong the Lightspeed was very comfy, but apparently not comfy enough for SWMBO ;).

So - figured we'd try the Bose 30 day trial (ouch$). After going back and forth between the lightspeed and the bose many times, I'd have to say the Bose is more comfortable but otherwise the performance seems identical to my untrained ear. I would also say it definitely isn't $400 more comfortable, though Beck likes em so they are staying.

I'm a cheap bastard, so I went with the Lightspeed QFR Xc ANR set. I like them better than my Dad's 20 3G set after using them a while. The 3g series are just too big for me. My list in order of preference (I have tried quite a few)

Bose
Lightspeed QFR Xc
Lightspeed 30 3G
DC 20-10X

I loved the DC ENC system, it sounds more true to me than most. I like DC and the Lightspeed QFR also because they have great passive if your batteries die too.

Sennheiser ANR

Mark,
try the Sennheiser HMEC350, it has a very good passiv noise reduction. I'm very happy with the ANR and I use it now for 6 years. It has an XLR plug for 12V, like the ones used on expensive microphones. I have put the XLR plug, that came with the headset, below the two headset plugs in the panel of our Mooney, so there is no extra cable lying around in the cockpit. But you can also buy a battery box. http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_aviation_active-noise

Helmets

rvwannabe said:
Where do you find those test pilot helmets anyways?
Here are a couple of places:

http://www.aviationhelmets.com/

http://www.flightsuits.com/helm.html

art_starstripes.jpg

I was pretty shocked at the prices - around 600-800 USD. Of course eBay has Chinese helmets for about 75 USD.

rvwannabe said:
Where do you find those test pilot helmets anyways?

"Sign up" with an "organization" that will issue you one... :p

Mickey is right - they are quite expensive if you are going to buy new, and want to have all of the communications components up to acceptable quality. I doubt that I could come up with the money to buy a good system from Flightsuits...

Mine is an HGU-55 which has been modified with ANR - definitely a worthwhile option...but again, ups the price!

For most of my flying, I am using a Lightspeed 20 that I have had for almost ten years - still works great. I also had the problem someone mentioned about the earseals flaking - I called Lightspeed about it, and they sent me new seals for free. I haven't used any other major brand of ANR, but they would have to be awfully impressive to outweigh the benefits of Lightspeed's Customer Service!

Paul

Bose v. Lightspeed

Hey Mark:

When I bought my headset I too didn't think the Bose were worth that much more than the Lightspeed. Now that I own both, here are my observations:

Lightspeed:
- Excellent passive noise reduction - much better than the Bose.
- Very good active noise reduction - very comparable to the Bose. It's amazing how much more you hear with ANR. I actually think I hear engine noises better because they are not muted by the dull roar of the engine.
- Comfortable, but start to be less so after many hours in the cockpit -- due mostly to clamping pressure and weight.
- DEFINITELY warm them up in the winter, or they will be very brittle. In fact I snapped a piece on mine one winter because they were not warm and flexible. I should add that Lightspeed support immediately sent me a replacement part, after offering me a choice of sending it back.

BOSE:
- non-existent passive noise reduction. If your battery goes and you don't have another handy (happened to me a few weeks ago in a Citabria), you are SOL because they are loud!
- Excellent active noise reduction.
- Very comfortable. The longest I have worn mine is 8 hours, and they didn't bother me at all. The geometry makes clamping pressure a non-issue so that even fat headed people like me don't suffer. They are also very light.
- Much more compact than the Lightspeeds, so if you are close to the canopy you are less likely to keep bumping your head.
- One drawback on the Bose volume/power controller is that the two volume wheels are very easy to turn. In certain cockpits where I can't clamp the controller out of the way I find myself inadvertently changing the volume often. I guess I could put a rubber band across them or something.

Bottom line -- I prefer the Bose due to the increased comfort, but I would definitely not part with my Lightspeeds. Both are excellent headsets and you won't be disappointed with either.

Antony

I am extremely happy with my lightspeeds but I haven't tried the BOSE. Just too much money. I took the difference and added a small amount and bought a Garmin 196 instead.

They are a little bulky but the only clearance problems I have had was in a Diamond DA-20. I'm 6'-5".

I own David Clark, have used Lightspeed, and use Bose at work. I like the David Clarks and Lightspeeds a lot. Lightspeeds are lighter and maybe more comfortable....DC's are a little heavier but built like a tank (and still quite comfortable). Passive and ANR are excellent in both.

IMHO, the main thing the Bose has going for it is the comfort...you can (and I do) wear those things all day long no problem. Frankly, though, I prefer LS and DC in terms ultimate sound quality. Others will disagree. Also, what a previous poster said about a dead battery is 100% true...when that battery goes, you may as well be wearing cheap ear muffs.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard a complaint about the high end LS, DC or Bose....everyone I know who fly them seem to be happy with what they have (i.e. all three work well...no surprises).

I'm getting ready to buy Ellen a nice headset and I'm having trouble deciding between LS, DC and Bose if that gives you any indication of how nice all three of them are.

My wife and I tried on just about every headset in the display hangars at Osh a couple of years back, from the top end (Bose) to the bottom end (I think the Pilot brand). It was really an easy decision: Lightspeed 20 XLC. They were just about the most comfortable ones there (in our opinion), the ANR was really good, the stereo sound was really good, and the price couldn't be beat (I think we paid a show special of $387/pair).

It really pays to visit every vendor and try each one on. Then, when you decide on a model, go to all of the vendors selling that model and get the prices. There is always a big difference and you can generally save at least 15-20% just by walking around.

Cheers

Lightspeed and skycom - are they related?

I have been following the threads on headsets, particularly regarding the Lightspeed QFR XCc ANR. I had nearly settled on it when I saw the Spruce Skycom II ANR which is over $100 cheaper and appears to have the same specification.

Given that they look to be so similar on paper, could they be made by the same company?

Has anyone had any experience with the Skycom II ANR? Is ther a quality difference between the two headsets which might account for the difference in price?

Headsets

I really like the Telex Stratus headset. Real nice ANR and feels good to me. It is not bult cheaply like the Lightspeed. Really headsets are a personal choice item as they are made different and we all have different needs and some of us have oddly shaped craniums! :eek:

Mark,
I'm with Ingo. While at SNF, I took a look at the Bose, LS 30G, and the Sennheiser HMEC 450. I'm sold on the Senn. I should have bought them at SNF; they had a great deal, < $500. I tried on each headset fo about 20 -30 min. at the booth. I know that's not long enough but I was starting to get strange looks! I found the Senn. the most comfortable which is #1 priority for me. I guess it just depends on the size & shape of your melon as to which one you prefer. Anyway I'm hoping they have the same deal at OSH.

Later,
Jerry

Wondering?

Why the need for a flight helmet and/or a Nomex flightsuit during the initial flight testing and 40 hour fly-off? If these items are necessary then wouldn't they also be necessary and should be used at all times during a flight? I'm missing the logic here.

D.J. Dormer

revdjd said:
Why the need for a flight helmet and/or a Nomex flightsuit during the initial flight testing and 40 hour fly-off? If these items are necessary then wouldn't they also be necessary and should be used at all times during a flight? I'm missing the logic here.
The accident record shows that there is a much greater chance of an accident during the first few hours of an amateur-built aircraft's life than there is later on. The risk of an accident never goes to zero, but at some point it is low enough that many people are not willing to put up with the perceived discomfort of Nomex flight suit and helmet.

Zulu's?

Has anyone tried the new LS Zulu's? I had a chance to try them side-by-side with Bose and I my impression was that they are going to be slightly better than Bose in both comfort and noise reduction.

On the helmet side, I use an HGU-55 in my biplane and recently upgraded the non-ANR earcups with the Oregon Aero cups. Perviously, the old Flight Suit ear cups were worthless in an RV. After the upgrade, the engine noise in my bi-plane pretty much went away and now I'm just left with lots of wind noise. I have yet to try it in an RV again so If it's still too loud, I'm installing ANRs.

I personally find a well-fitted helmet to be very comfortable, with good visability, and I don't mind wearing it. With a visor, it's going to give you some eye-protection when a bird comes through the canopy. Then again, it's a personal decision.