Slats

Getting into aero's and am interested in any advice on helmets and parachutes used in the 4.

I am also concerned about sscratching the inside of the canopy.

Is there such a thing as a quick release for the headset cords?

Has anyone here actually had to open their canopy in flight? I'd love to hear straight how it separated.

My canopy has a bungee cord that holds it open. I understand that there is a prop that disengages when the canopy is closed.

Appreciate any input on any of the issues.

Thanks

Slats

There are a couple of instances on this board of 4's losing their canopies in flight. I saw one this summer and the canopy hit the tail..put a good ding in the tail but that's about it.

I am also concerned about sscratching the inside of the canopy.

Taller canopy?

Is there such a thing as a quick release for the headset cords?

Yeah, it's called body weight and the slipstream. ;)

But as far as helmets go, I would choose one of these:
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/Fixed+Wing/id/18/cat_id/30/ I have a HPU-55P and love it. It technically belongs to the air ambulance I fly for, but was told that I could use it for flying whenever especially when I start doing flight testing of my design. I'll probably buy my own for that though.

The nice thing is you can get it customized. Mine has the logo of our air ambulance on each side and my nickname on the back. ("Horryrood!" (originally it was "Hollywood" until someone discovered my love for the movie '1941'))

I have a Strong 304 seat-pack for my -4, it replaces the seat cushion. I fit-tested a backpack chute but it put me too far forward and my head hit the downsloping part of the canopy. With the seat pack I've got enough canopy clearance for a headset but could not wear my HGU-33 helmet with *any* cushion/chute. HGU-55s are a bit smaller, I plan to fit-check one when my RV is flying again. A soft helmet cover would help with scratches. Note that I am average height, with short legs, a tall seated height (torso length), and a large head. YMMV ;)

I used a bungee to hold the canopy open too - first step after closing and locking the canopy was to unhook one side of the bungee so that I could get rid of the canopy if necessary. Post-shutdown, crack the canopy, rehook the bungee, and move on. I'm replacing it with a gas strut but will figure out some kind of quick release or go back to the bungee - I will not fly acro without some way of getting rid of the canopy,

Helmet/chute

I have a Strong seat pack for my Skybolt and will use it in a couple of weeks when I start the flight test program on the RV. I can't give you any performance recommendation on the Strong since I've never used it. I am very familiar with the company and give them the highest rating. Integrity seems to be improtant to them.

I wore a Gentex for ~20 years in the military. Good product. However there is a better one in my opinion. Merit Apparel sells the Gallet (gal-lay) helmet and it was written up with high marks in the EAA Sport Aerobatic mag.
Very light and form fitting.
http://www.meritapparel.com/index.html

Don

SteveinIndy;573639} said:
But as far as helmets go, I would choose one of these:
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/Fixed+Wing/id/18/cat_id/30/ I have a HPU-55P and love it.

Did a bunch of research on helmets at my old job as a safety officer for our police aviation unit. Please be advised the HGU-55 (Steve calls it a "HPU" but I think he means HGU) it will offer minimal protection in a crash. They look cool, but are commonly referred to as a "bump helmet", used in F-16's etc to protect the pilot's head when he bumps the canopy in high G maneuvers. The Canadian government did a huge study years ago pertaining to these issues, as some helicopter operators were using them. We got rid of them. If you want a helmet that will protect your noggin in a crash, you will have to go with something like a SPH-4 or 5, but I doubt if they will work well in an RV. Hope this helps, Glenn

Last edited:
However there is a better one in my opinion. Merit Apparel sells the Gallet (gal-lay) helmet and it was written up with high marks in the EAA Sport Aerobatic mag.
Very light and form fitting.

They don't post any technical specs on the helmet. How are you supposed to judge its performance?

Call Rob

They don't post any technical specs on the helmet. How are you supposed to judge its performance?

I drove down to their shop in Vero Beach and spent half a day with Rob the owner. They are mil spec compliant and can provide all the details. I suggest email or call.
Don