Stalldog

Well Known Member
Not sure where best to post this, but just thought I'd say hello to all. Just joined and looking forward to many good posts to come. After 30 years I'm finally getting back into flying, er, well, building then flying. I'll be retiring in a few years and finally have the time and funds needed to do this thing. Ordered the preview plan set from Vans for the RV-7A and I'm blown away by the thought of actually doing this. And, from what I've been researching on this forum, this is one amazing place with lots of good details and experiences to help with the building process. Heck, I've already been digging into the pros and cons of priming (did I really say that?). Anway, thanks for letting me be a part of this. Now if I can only figure out how to make my avatar small enough to upload. ;)

Jim

Yeah, it would be easy to get overwhelmed by this. Just got to remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. Wish I had started a few years earlier, though!

Welcome Jim.

Better late than never. The one thing I think anyone would tell you is, "I should have started earlier." This doesn't just go for flying, but for just about anything in life worth doing. Get involved, stay involved, start your build and don't look back. It's the run that's rewarding, not standing hunched at the starting line!

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Not sure where best to post this, but just thought I'd say hello to all.
-----------------------
Now if I can only figure out how to make my avatar small enough to upload. ;)

Jim

Jim, welcome to VAF, good to have you here.

Looks like you got the avatar thing figured out, next test is to post a photo in a post.:rolleyes:

As far as where to post, I moved it to general discussion for you, I think more folks will see it there.

Enjoy:D

Guess I should give the fella credit who lives a couple of blocks from me for getting me back into this. I've been driving by his house for the past month noticing tghe plane he's building in his garage. Appears to be almost finished, taildragger with a J-3 look but not a carbon cub. One of those "if he can do it, I bet I can too" moments. Guess I'd better calm myself down and get back into the priming debate to dull my senses some! ;)

Welcome Jim

It's never too late to start an RV Jim. Research more, try to finish endless debates before you buy the kit it will save you time, health and money. Finish it in one shot, say three-four years and enjoy.

Welcome

Glad to meet you. Good luck on your build and keep your eyes on the prize!!

Bird

Welcome

Jim,

I think you have made a great choice. What took you so long? ;)

I think we might have a common friend. Check your PM's.

Glad to meet you. Good luck on your build and keep your eyes on the prize!!

Bird

Thanks, Bird, looking forward to getting into it soon. So many plans to make, so little time!

BTW, many years ago my HS football team from Monroe played a state playoff game in your area, a team from Sulfur, I believe. Man they were big, and the end to our playoffs that year! Guess we'd better stick to flying. ;)

I can't say much since I'm fairly new, but glad to have you! NOTHING beats building your own airplane!

Yes we have. I am part of a school group that is building a RV-12 for a class project. We started construction with 7 members in January 2011. We are finished with the empennage, around halfway with the fuse, and one wing is done and the other is at about 75%. We work twice a week, so I think that's respectable. Check out our blog www.mykitlog.com/bobkelly.

Thanks, Bird, looking forward to getting into it soon. So many plans to make, so little time!

BTW, many years ago my HS football team from Monroe played a state playoff game in your area, a team from Sulfur, I believe. Man they were big, and the end to our playoffs that year! Guess we'd better stick to flying. ;)

Yeah Sulphur still has a very good team, if you are ever in the area look me up and you can see my -8 being built and of course go flying in something!

bird

Yes we have. I am part of a school group that is building a RV-12 for a class project. We started construction with 7 members in January 2011. We are finished with the empennage, around halfway with the fuse, and one wing is done and the other is at about 75%. We work twice a week, so I think that's respectable. Check out our blog www.mykitlog.com/bobkelly.

Now THAT'S what I call a high school! Sure didn't have projects like that when I was there. So, I'm curious, is there also some type of flight training involved down the road?

Jump right in....

the size of this project is daunting. I built two homes and that was nothing to these. After working on sub assemblies you finally get a big satisfaction when you look at a completed Rudder, H/S elevator etc.

Yes it is a project... but one step at a time and the stuff seems to get done and you get a better under standing of the process as you build.

Welcome aboard.....

Smilin' Jack