wellsheit

I'm New Here
I've been lurking here a little bit lately trying to familiarize myself with the RV some more. My first post. I'll give you a quick rundown on where I'm at in my aviation career so hopefully you'll see my interest in an RV.

I'm a student pilot. Over 40 hours. Its been a slow process, but I'm nearly there. Right now I'm young and single, so I'm thinking now may be the best time ever to build a plane. I'm a pretty big fella (6'2", 230# if the moon's gravity is in my favor). I already know I'll never be happy owning a 172. The plan is to have a shop built first quarter of next year. That will give me plenty of space to start my project.

An engineer I work with pretty much custom built a KR2S, and while that plane is amazingly fun and efficient, I just don't think that platform is near big enough for my size, even if I stretch it every which direction, regardless of how the price tag is.

So that has led me here. I've read several different opinions on the RV-8 and RV-4. Sounds to me like the RV-8 would be more suitable to my needs. I love the tandem setup and feel like that would be the most roomy and exciting way to fly. Mostly just joy flying of course, but I will do some healthy cross country's. Obviously my time frame on an airplane is years. They don't come cheap!

I am interested in any opinions on the best way to get into an RV. The quick build kits, I see are ~30k. So with that kit, what would you end up with in a plane coming out on the other side w/ say an uncertified IO-360 or something similar.

Anywho, thanks for the site. I'll keep lurking and trying to learn as we go.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Brad, welcome to VAF.

Good idea, asking your questions here, you will get lots of good info to help you. Probably a few offers of a ride too, if I may be allowed to predict the future.:rolleyes:

In my not so humble opinion, the 8 will be a great plane for you, quite roomy and there is a tall pilot option available.

Hang on, enjoy the ride.:D

The 8 is a great choice

Hi Brad,

Welcome to VAF. I have built 2 RV-8's and have 800 hours in one of them. It is a great choice for a fellow your size. Both the RV-4 and RV-8 are great planes, but the 4 is smaller inside both for pilot and passenger. The 8 has lots of room, especially for the pilot. The 8 also has both forward and aft baggage compartments, which allows one to carry passengers of different weights and control the CG with baggage.

As far as costs of building go, it depends a lot on what kind of prop, engine, avionics, and instruments you choose as well as whether or not you do slow build or quick build and paint it yourself. Depending on choices, you could probably build a nice RV-8 for 60 to 65 K if you are frugal and do slow build with fixed pitch and maybe halftime engine, simple VFR panel, etc. Alternatively, you can spend 80 to 90 K if you use new constant speed prop, new exp engine, fairly fancy EFIS, and decent avionics, etc. At the high end, some folks put 30 or 40 K in the panel alone.

Fortunately, these decisions don't have to be made at the beginning of a project. You could get started on a tail kit and have plenty of time to decide on how fancy you want to get.

Go for it! Wish that I had built my RV-8 when I was a young guy. They are life-changing machines.

Cheers,

Dan Miller
RV-8 N3TU Superior IO-360 M1, WW200 RV prop, Dynon EFIS, Digitrak autopilot. 800 hours in 4 years.

I am interested in any opinions on the best way to get into an RV. The quick build kits, I see are ~30k. So with that kit, what would you end up with in a plane coming out on the other side w/ say an uncertified IO-360 or something similar.

Try using Van's cost estimator http://vansaircraft.com/public/compcost.htm it pretty accurate. It will allow you to try different configurations and see how they will effect your bottom line.

If you're anything like me, don't fall into the trap of thinking you can get by with the lowest estimate. There's always seems to be something neat that you just can't resist. Just start clicking on the adds here on VAF and you'll see what I mean. But, if you just want a basic VFR aircraft, it can be done with a lot of willpower.

Welcome Brad!

Do you work with Mark Langford? I have followed his work for a while, VERY cool stuff.

I have not yet started a build, but bought tools and done shop prep. I've learned lots just from reading here. Have fun with you build!

I've been lurking here a little bit lately trying to familiarize myself with the RV some more. My first post. I'll give you a quick rundown on where I'm at in my aviation career so hopefully you'll see my interest in an RV.

I'm a student pilot. Over 40 hours. Its been a slow process, but I'm nearly there. Right now I'm young and single, so I'm thinking now may be the best time ever to build a plane. I'm a pretty big fella (6'2", 230# if the moon's gravity is in my favor). I already know I'll never be happy owning a 172. The plan is to have a shop built first quarter of next year. That will give me plenty of space to start my project.

An engineer I work with pretty much custom built a KR2S, and while that plane is amazingly fun and efficient, I just don't think that platform is near big enough for my size, even if I stretch it every which direction, regardless of how the price tag is.

So that has led me here. I've read several different opinions on the RV-8 and RV-4. Sounds to me like the RV-8 would be more suitable to my needs. I love the tandem setup and feel like that would be the most roomy and exciting way to fly. Mostly just joy flying of course, but I will do some healthy cross country's. Obviously my time frame on an airplane is years. They don't come cheap!

Anywho, thanks for the site. I'll keep lurking and trying to learn as we go.

Hey Brad,

You just happen to live in a hotbed of RV activity. The TVRVBG is home to over 25 flying RVs of all types. Let me know if you want to be on the TVRVBG email list.

Look up Dave Edgemon at Moontown (airport breakfast is tomorrow morning) and take a look at his gorgeous new RV-8. He also has an RV-9A in the hangar for comparison.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and finish your private training. Once you get a project started it will be hard to devote as much time and $$$$ to the license. You have plenty of time to build an airplane. :)

Hey Brad,

You just happen to live in a hotbed of RV activity. The TVRVBG is home to over 25 flying RVs of all types. Let me know if you want to be on the TVRVBG email list.

Look up Dave Edgemon at Moontown (airport breakfast is tomorrow morning) and take a look at his gorgeous new RV-8. He also has an RV-9A in the hangar for comparison.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and finish your private training. Once you get a project started it will be hard to devote as much time and $$$$ to the license. You have plenty of time to build an airplane. :)

I actually do my flight training out of Moontown and recently bought a house ~3 miles away (won't that be convenient for transporting a home built to the runway). I don't know Dave, but I'll ask around next time I'm up there. I can hear the planes heading to the breakfast coming in on the 45 now, but have a birthday gig to attend.

Also, YES please add me to that mailing list. bsmith113 ,at, hotmail ,dot, com

MJarreau said:
Do you work with Mark Langford? I have followed his work for a while, VERY cool stuff.

I have not yet started a build, but bought tools and done shop prep. I've learned lots just from reading here. Have fun with you build!

I actually sit across the hall from him. Without seeing what he has done and watching his airplane fly, I would not have nowhere near enough desire to embark on building something I'll be flying. Plus it would be nice to have someone that experienced in home-builts to go-to for advice/questions.
Forgive the rocking. I was in a paddle boat fishing!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r342g5sL5nk

Thanks again for the welcome. I'm already working on getting a few shop build quotes. Thats step 1.