fatherson

Well Known Member
Hello!

I'm a 44-yo under-employed software engineer,
so I can't really afford to be here; but,

and I can't really afford NOT to be here.

Last month, during an 80-mile hike on the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevada's, my youngest son started asking lots of questions about my flying days. Tyson was turning 12 on the trail, and we had already discussed his desire to join Civil Air Patrol once we returned.

CAP had paid for a large portion of my Private cert when I was 17. I'm still a very-low-time pilot (about 120 TT, most in 172's), and I haven't flown in over 25 years. Still, Tyson seemed fascinated at my stories: airshows, fly-ins, under-wing camping along the California coast, working a fuel truck a few summers at Nut Tree airport in Vacaville.

But his excitement cranked up a few notches when I told him about the BD-5 my friends' father was building in his garage (late 1970's). Tyson's always been a bit of a builder, and he insisted we find out more about the current state of home-building as soon as we got home.

It didn't take long for me to find Van's Aircraft. I learned, as you all know, that the performance:value ratio makes these planes irresistible. I was sold on the plane long before I started lurking here in the VAF Forums.

But after a few hundred hours of reading the archives here, I must say the straw that broke my back was the rich culture you all have built up in this Van's Community. Sure, the usually disagreements and flames peek out occasionally, but I've been online since the Arpanet (that's the pre-cursor to the Internet), and I've never seen a group more consistently friendly, helpful, supportive, and caring toward one another.

So I blame you all for the totally unwise path my son and I are beginning now. We ordered the Preview Plan's for an RV-7/7A last week, and we've been poring over them since they arrived on Tuesday. We're sold. We're committed to starting sometime before my 45th birthday next May, and to finishing before my 50th. That would put Tyson just a little past 17, ready to slip the surly bonds on his own.

We decided a few hours ago to fly down to LOE to join all of you in person. Since we don't have an airplane, we'll have to fly less than an inch or two AGL, thanks to our nation's asphalt airways. Still, I'm hoping 17 hours each way from Utah will be worth it. Sure, we could save the money and put it toward our first kit, but I'm anticipating spending the weekend with all of you will be worth the expense.

Please introduce yourselves. We'll be the father-son team, joined at the hip, taking lots of pictures, asking lots of questions, grinning a lot, and trying not to be too annoying (okay, perhaps we'll be ONE of the father-son teams with those attributes, but find us anyway).

A small benefit to meeting us: we'll be taking a nine-seat Suburban (bronze, Utah plates) with plenty of extra room to shuttle people around. If you weren't able to find a rental car, just flag us down and we'll take you wherever you need to go. We might pester you with questions on the way, but I hope that serves as your fare. If not, just ask us to shut up; the fare's still free. :)

Okay, like I said,

so I can't really afford to be here.

But, let's face it,

I'm a 44-yo father, with a rabidly curious 12-yo son, and we both want to fly like our heroes.

I'm certain we're in the right place.

High flying,
Stephen and Tyson
http://fatherson.posterous.com/

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Stephen, welcome to VAF:D

It is good to hear about the plan to build with your son, it will be an experience the two of you will cherish forever.

Hopefully, someone will give you and your son a ride in a 7----or at least one of the models at LOE.

ENJOY

Sometimes you just know.....

....if it's the right fit!

I gotta feeling that you're just gonna fit right in...

Welcome,

Welcome

Steve and Tyson,
Welcome to the world of RVs a lot of fun flying and great people.

You call me on Saturday, and I'll get you both in the air on Saturday, honest: 661.433.6056 :D Rosie

Louise and I will be out at LOE all day - can't wait to meet both of you and help you get started on this wonderful adventure!

Paul

Stephen,
Your story really hits my soft spot. I went through the same thoughts and decision-making process just a few years ago. I have 3 sons (and 1 daughter). My sons have all helped me at one time or another in the building of my 7A. I'm halfway done with my fuselage now, so there's a lot more work ahead and even more opportunities to work with them. They have enjoyed helping me and it's been the most wonderful experience of my life.

If you'd like to see it, here's just one of my log pages, where my youngest son Daniel helped me rivet the aft fuselage together: Daniel helps Dad with Riveting. What a wonderful experience. I'll remember that day long after this airplane is finished.

My kids are leaving the nest now and scattering to the wind, and this airplane will enable me to travel the great distances more easily and more often to go see them. Don't delay getting started. Just do it! I couldn't afford this either when I started and I'm still not sure where all the money is going to come from to finish it. The important thing is to get started. Kids grow up so fast. And the people you'll meet along the way are unbelieveable!

See, you are all proving my thesis

Thanks everyone for the hearty welcome. We're on the flightline now. We have RV grins, and we haven't even flown in one yet.

Rosie, your offer is too kind. But we'll gladly avail ourselves to it. We're both in red hats and blue jeans. Tyson's shirt is tan; mine red. I'll call you if I can't find you first.

High Flying,
Stephen and Tyson

DSC05500.jpg

Father

DSC05498.jpg

& son, getting their rides at LOE09.

I'm sorry about the bad weather some places. LOE today was cirrus clouds, 80 degrees and no wind. Beautiful!

From Rosie: MANY thanks to SoCALer Dan Hall for flying Dad!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry & Rosie,

You guys are AWESOME!!! I was just thinking how neat it would be to see some pictures, and here they are. If that doesn't hit a soft spot in the heart, I don't know what would.

I have to agree

Larry & Rosie,

You guys are AWESOME!!! I was just thinking how neat it would be to see some pictures, and here they are. If that doesn't hit a soft spot in the heart, I don't know what would.

....that both Larry and Rosie are true ambassadors for Van's and their fellow man.

Regards,

Way to GO!

Dan and Rosie,
What a very kind and generous thing to do. Just think of how you positively influenced two lives towards aviation. I can't wait to do the same thing when I finish my plane!

any updates?

So having been directed to this thread from here, I just can't help but wonder what has happened since LOE '09 with this Father/Son build team?

Any updates out there?