txaviator

Well Known Member
When are you going to buzz my house (like Doug and others do inadvertently) :D , in that new -8?

How's she coming along? Hope all is well with you.

Take care,

hi

Hi Gary,

The new RV 8 is getting wired up! Should be ready to inspect by the end of June. I was doing the kit inventory this time last year. So have had the kit a year now, not counting the tail.
The cowl, canopy skirt and emp faring are painted a temporary gray. Still trying to decide on a sceme for paint.???
I plan to get the time flown off in September, and get Grady to put some paint on it before the end of this year.

S-W-E-E-T!

Talk about a fast-build, considering everything else you have going on! That's great news!

So, enquiring minds want to know......what in the world will this bird be named? I'd send it out for a vote :D

Heck Jay, with so many planes, you surely have run out of names? :cool: (OK, that is serious envy, let me tell you! Planes out your ears, others in progress in you hangar, and a fine airport home?) Doesn't get any better than that!

Looking forward to seeing you soon! I am happy, Jay....you know the -8 model I sent you? Right after receiving it you started another plane! I won't send you another Van's (model) version until you get finished with this -8 :D I need to get my -9 completed, and you can fly her! Heck, I think I'll be the first -9 you have flown? Geez , after that, you may sell off the entire fleet and build you a -9 ? :cool:

Take care,

Right Gary, I haven't flown a 9... but....

I did ,,,finally,,,,,!!,, get to fly the 10 we built here. Nice flying plane. I got a real ck out in it too! The owner is next door, and an instructor.

I hope you will see the light and get a 7 with a 180 hp. You may want to fly with us in the mountains.

We are doing an engine swap now on a RV 8. The owner could not keep up on a big trip we did a few years ago. Those 0-320s just do not climb good above 6000ft. Doug was on that trip and he had to be last with his 0-320 . Now he has an 0-360 as well.

My hanger home is a 20x20 room on the second floor mezzanene. I have to scrimp to have airplanes, don't give these people the wrong idea.

A new name for the 8 is not coming to me. I guess it will have to fly around and ease into a name. Somethings just happen and it comes to you.

Last edited:
Jaypratt said:
My hanger home is a 20x20 room on the second floor mezzanene. I have to scrimp to have airplanes, don't give these people the wrong idea.
Every time I go to RV Central, I decide that Jay is a darn lucky man. Had I stayed a bachelor and decided to scratch the airplane itch earlier in life than I did, I would have loved a situation like his.

Location..Location...Location...

Living AT the airport is the ticket, Jay! 20'x20' or 2000'......it's all about the location, and being able to look out your bedroom window at the planes and projects! Priceless, in my opinion :D

Take care,

progress!!!

Wiring done, Stabed and driled the wings yesterday, Thanks, Hicks gang for the help. Should have the wings off soon and start glassing the windshield this week. I see flight at the end of the tunnel!!

Last edited:
The Borrowed Horse

Sold! Ykes!! I do not have an RV!!!
The new RV8 will be the new 'Borrowed Horse' It is almost an airplane. Starting the windshield Monday.

Last edited:
Jay!!! What are you doing???? You can't sell a "Borrowed Horse"!! You can only loan it out!! Sad to see it go. Now Carol will be relagated to the back seat....or will it be you that's relagated to the back seat :D . PS - How's Carol's flight training coming?

Tobin

Borrowed Horse

Tob,

Carol is getting a Cessna 140 today.

I am told by the C-140 people around here that an experienced C-140 pilot will not have any trouble with a RV 8. We are excited to get this 'new' plane.
I will name it 'PUTT PUTT 10' ,,,,,,,My ninth, uah,,10th airplane.
C-172
C-172
P35 Bonanza
Cheorkee Six
RV 6
RV8
RV6
North Star "SHOOTER
RV8 the new "BORROWED HORSE"
C-140 "PUTT PUTT 10"

The new Borrowed Horse should be ready for inspection next weekend.

Last edited:
Jay,

Haven't you had your coffee today yet??? You've had TEN planes! You left Shooter off your list! You'll have to name the 140 "PUTT PUTT 10".

PUTT PUTT 10

Thanks Tobin!!

I forgot Shooter, how could that happen??
Put 2 flights on ""PUTT PUTT",,,,, "10", yesterday. Three good landings and one bouncer. Fun, FUN, FUN!! Tobin, You gotta fly it!
Carol had corple tunnel surgery Monday, so she only has one paw at the moment. No lessons for her this week.
Thanks for counting for me. I need all the help I can get.

Last edited:
Jay,

Thanks for taking the time to talk this evening.

The nut for the Sky-Tec start is an 8mm - 1.24, available at Lowe's aviation and hardware store.

Call any Time!

Bill,

Glad you called. You are close to flying!!
The New "Borrowed Horse" is ready for inspection, Mel is coming soon!
Hope to fly it next week.
I know you will keep us posted on your progress.

Hi Jay, I just read where you had sold the "Borrowed Horse". At least you're training Carol right; the C140 was my tailwheel trainer too (and airplane #3).

I'm pedaling as fast as I can to catch up to you. I finally sold the nosedragger RV and am finalizing a deal on plan #8; an RV-4. Should have things wrapped up in another week or so.

First Engine Start!

July 7, 2007 was a good day, here at RV Central! [they are all good]

We started the engine on my new RV8, the new 'Borrowed Horse'
I taxied it to the cross taxiway and returned.
No runs, no drips, no errors! Taxi's straight too.
Should be blessed by Mel this week and become an airplane.

Some details,,,,,,,......

The weight is 1066 lbs.
Cowl Spinner canopy skirt painted, temporarily,,,
waiting on a slot over at GLO Paint Shop

Titan engine, by Americas Aircraft Engines 0-360
carb,
Slick mags,
SL 40 com
327 transponder
Infinity grip
Digitrak II, and ADI
EI & Vans engine gauges
Custom Aero seats
Hooker belts
Grove airfoil gear
Paul Dye rear throttle

Last edited:
The New 'Borrowed Horse"

Mel has done it again!!!!!. He issued a pink slip today for my RV8 QB.
Mel found several loose 'not-so' jam nuts, a couple of carter pins missing, and several tiny squawks. You builders outside Texas, Mel is willing to travel, it is worth it to get him to look at your projects, HE KNOWS RVs. I have been flying RVs since 1996, I still feel like a new guy around Mel. Call him for the real deal.
THANKS Mel Asberry, DAR.

The new RV8 is not finished and will not make it to OSH this year. It needs wheel pants, canopy skirt work, and intersection fairings. Plus 40 hours of flight test work,,,it will come next year.

It should fly tomorrow July 17, 2007. Doug Reeves is flying over in 'Flash' to chase the first flight.

I will post the successful results after the flight. It should be a boring non event. Just another RV lifting off here at Hicks airport T67,,,, yawn....

Last edited:
Great to hear Jay - Have a safe (and boring) first flight!

I am also a member of the "Mel found loose jam nuts" club....glad to hear that I'm not the only one in that group - gee, you don't suppose he loosens a few when we're not looking just so he can point something out, do you?! ;)

Fly safe,

Paul

Humm???

Iron,

interesting you ask... Mel ask Me?,,,,,,,,,,, if ,,,,,,I, had a list of things I loosened or left off ,,,, just to see if he was doing his job......ha!,,, Mel was here 2 hours and I spent 1.25 fixing his squawks, really worth it.

I know Mel is the Boss, listen to him, you builders coming up,,,, get Mel.

Last edited:
Way cool, Jay!

Major congratulations on BH #2! What time to you anticipate leaving the runway tomorrow?

First Flight 9:00AM

Gary,

Doug is supposed to be here at 8:50 in the morning. I am ready. Hoping for 20 kn X wind just to make it interesting,,,,,,,,,,,, NOT

Can't wait to see the plane Jay, and looking forward to a ride. I've never been up in an 8 before.

Best of luck on your test flight this morning!

Borrowed Horse

Flew this morning around 9 AM .
Some kind of fun
Lots of fun, and,,,,,,,,,,,
No Runs, No Drips, No Errors!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaypratt said:
Flew this morning around 9 AM .
Some kind of fun
Lots of fun, and,,,,,,,,,,,
No Runs, No Drips, No Errors!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats, Jay! Have fun flying the Phase 1 off. Can't wait to see it at LoE.

Time

Mike,

Left the 'Borrowed Horse' with a young pilot here @ Hicks T67 and went on an Odyssey flying the Super cub 'Shooter' around the west. I had about 9 hours on the new airplane when I left and now, on my return, it has 31+ hours on it. The guy reports no problems and I did not have to fly around in circles for the last 20 hours! Feww!! Dogged that bullet. I will get the hours flown off in time for LOE.
Look forward to hanging with you and the rest of our extended RV family.

Jay,
I've been seeing the Borrowed Horse at several events lately. If your current time builder runs out of time because of school ;) you can always send her over here. :D

TIME

Craig,

Is hot,,,,,,its Texas, in August,,,,, you want to fly it ? come on over!!! I need 6.7 more hours as of tonight. COME AND GET EM.
Danny came over today and flew it more than an hour. He liked it!!!
I flew .6 tonight,,, filled up in Bridgeport, cheapest gas I've seen lately $3.39 I think?
I am working in the A/C shop.. See you at LOE.

cheers

Last edited:
40+

The new Bowwowed Horse is free and clear.
I got the 40 hours flown off this past week. Doug will try it out soon.
Now to do all that fiberglass I have been putting off.....

Congrats Jay!!

So you going to go someplace to show it off on Sunday for lunch? I'm committed to a fly-in in Louisiana Saturday, but if it's nice on Sunday, I'll need someplace to go....

Iorn

Iron,

Sorry, I do not look at this forum, every day. Missed your post.
I want you to fly it. We will hook up soon.

86 hours

The Borrowed Horse has 86 hours now and is flying good. Looking forward to the Bahamas trip in March and the Big Bend in Feb.

Two builders,,,, maby three,,,, are getting real close to flying the RV Central coop. So any RV 8 builders out there,,,,,,,,,,,, you guys get first chance on a builder spot here. I prefer 8s.
Give me a call. I can keep you focused and moving ahead.

Last edited:
Bahamas

The Bahamas trip went fine. We did have two cold fronts come through. I would love to go back,,,, but later in the year....next time.
Havent looked at the Hobbs but should have over 100 hours on Borrowed Horse
Loving the new paint job!!!
Still need another 8 or two in here. Call for space times and such.
817 271 0594

Time flies

The Borrowed Horse will be one year old on July 17th.
It has carried me to the Bahamas, Petit Jean, AR and many places near and far.

Oshkosh is next.
140 hours so far and running good.
See you there.
Cheers