kc8ard

Hello everyone, I've been trying to decide for the last year on an airplane to build. I've been following this website for a while and I finally narrowed it down to several airplanes due to many considered criteria. One of them is the excellent builder support within the Vans community. Well, I've decided that I'm going to build either an rv-3 or an rv-4. I just buckled down and purchased a quantity of tools and the practice sheet metal/tool box from Vans. My plan is to complete the build by the time I'm 30. I'm 24 now. I guess my next major step is an empennage kit.

Also, I have a box full of spare parts from the family spam can's avionics upgrade. Let me know if anyone wants any old working eqiupment so I can purchase the empennage kit. I have a cp-126, NAV-11, KI-214, 170B(khz dial problems but works), or possibly a beautiful condition ky-97a(still deciding whether I want to sell it). We have a 530/sl-30/347/(2)GI-106a now in the piper.

I'll take the -530, the sl-30, and both gi-106's! :D (I know you're not selling - but I want them anyway.)

This website is a wealth of information! I believe all of Van's designs are excellent, so you can't really go wrong. Just out of curiosity, what factors have narrowed you to the -3 or -4? I'm building a -9A, but sometimes desire an -8! (That'll be my next plane! Maybe.) :rolleyes: I think an -8 might go together quicker than a -4 if you're looking to get into the air rather than build.

Well, my motivations are pretty simple, I don't want to spend an insane amount of money right now. I'm aiming more towards a single seater equipped with day-vfr avionics, and semi-aerobatic capability. Two seats would be a plus, but it's not necesary for me since most of my flying will be alone. Ideally my goal in life would be to fly around the world and follow in the footsteps of other great aviaters of past and present. For the time being, I'm young and can devote a greater time later in my life to other projects. My ideal plane right now would be an rv-8 one seater with 200hp, full ifr/gps stack, and a large fuel capacity(extra wing/rear seat tanks).

Last edited:
Ahhh, I see.

How many airplanes do you think you might build in your lifetime? Some crafters build several for the joy of building. Your response indicates you'd prefer to fly than build. I'd offer that it may be more advantatgeous to purchase a flying -3 or -4 and (when viable) begin buidling that RV-8 of your dreams! As you get closer to completion, you could sell your "starter" plane and use the funds to complete your "dream" plane. In the mean time you get to do some flying and have a few adventures/epics! If you start by building one of the smaller ones you'll likely end-up selling in order to start your -8 anyway. (Not necessarily a bad thing, though. :D )

Well, honestly I'm very interested in building. I'm actually interested in tackling a project that's not "too" complete as I want the satisfaction of putting together every little component..within reason. Due to the nature of the rv design, I've ruled out scratch building as i think it falls within an unreasonable time limit for me. I've always enjoyed restoring/rebuilding things. I'm currently tacking a 1970 mg midget complete frame(unibody)restoration. For a while, I was toying with the idea of building a clipped wing j-3 replica by wag aero with my tubing bender/notcher and a crate full of 4130, but when I calculated all components that I would need, it fell within rv-4 price range. Also, I decided the performance range was unacceptable, due to the nature of the design.

Reminds me.. I think it's kind of funny. Several years ago I purchased a "sheet metal fastener kit" from Eastwood co. It came with a set of cleco pliers, 10 1/8" clecos, and two cleco clamps. I cringe when I think of the 30.00(I think) that I paid for the kit now...

Last edited:
Here is the scoop then, BUY a -3 (cheapest) and start building the -4! By the time you get the -4 anywhere near ready, you'll have tons of friends that are dying to ride in the -3 and therefore the extra seat in the -4 will be necessary!

How much for the Nav11? Does it work completely?

I'll chime in

Having built an RV-4 years ago I wouldn't do it again. The reason is simple, the RV-8.

Yes the RV-8 is a more money, but you are going to spend a lot of time building and possibly several hundred additional hours building the RV-4. So if you are going to spend that much extra time, take on a seasonal second job or start a small business. Then you can earn the difference and build the RV-8. When completed the RV-8 will be worth far more then the RV-4.

In addition as your life changes through the building process your needs may also change.

I started building my RV-4 when I was 23-24 years old. By the time I finished it I was married and had 3 kids.

Food for thought.

Pmerems said:
Having built an RV-4 years ago I wouldn't do it again. The reason is simple, the RV-8.

Yes the RV-8 is more money, but you are going to spend a lot of time building and possibly several hundred additional hours building the RV-4. ...

KC, I did a little looking at Van's website: the -8 kit is only about $4,500 more than the -4 kit! That may seem like a lot of money now, but over the life of the build you'll barely notice it. (Procuring the engine is going to take a great big juicy bite out of your A$$! Now THAT you'll feel, I'm sure.) :D The time and frustration saved with the pre-punched kit will be well worth the money.

Set a goal for what you want, now. Don't settle for less because you think you can't afford it.

Get in as cheap as you can and build a great airplane

You have so much life potential left no airplane kit choice is the end of the line for you so build what you want now. You are obviously in an aviation environment and are not going into this with your eyes closed. When you are my age and look back on it I think you will always be proud of your RV-3 or the RV-4 as your personal airplane but of course the RV-4 has been shown to have globe circling capability with extensive fuel mods if your are serious about that.

Bob Axsom

Richard L Bentley

HI: think long and hard before you commit to the RV3. I'm on my 2nd RV,an RV3B and I would NOT do it again..But I will finish it as I have too much invested. Reasons... No Support from Vans.. Manual and PLans haven't been updated in years. You get parts from all different models and the answer is make them fit.. Be sure you have an experienced builder close by for advice and guidence..CU Dick Bentley

There aint cheap airplanes...

kc8ard said:
I don't want to spend an insane amount of money right now. ........ My ideal plane right now would be an rv-8 one seater with 200hp, full ifr/gps stack, and a large fuel capacity(extra wing/rear seat tanks).

SPEND THE MONEY!!!!! You won't regret it.

I did not want to spend the money, but I am happy that I did....Flying an RV is PRICELESS.

I think it's safe to say to anyone considering building a -3 or -4 as a first project: if you are not a born craftsman, DON'T!
You will be money and sanity ahead by building a -7, -8, -9 etc.