rvanstory

Well Known Member
I'm posting a new thread to a previously asked question that has not been answered yet. (NOTE: Got lots of answers and suggestions to questions that were not asked. :))

Monday I am installing a new heli-coil in my Lycoming IO-540 after the original threads were damaged. I ordered the aviation specific heli-coil from ACS.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/helicoil.php

Here's my question, do I have to use the Lycoming staking tool in order to use this aviation type heli-coil (with serrated edge)? I have a "standard" heli-coil insertion tool, but standard heli-coils do not require "staking". If I use this Lycoming heli-coil with the serrated edge, can I successfully install it using a standard insertion tool without staking?

Anyone else done this successfully, or not?

You cold likely install the helicoil but if you do not stake it, it will probably come out the first time you remove the spark plug.

I don't have the answer to your specific question but when I installed a helicoil, I followed Lycoming guide which specifies a special helicoil that is .002 larger and uses the staking tool.

I don't have the answer to your specific question but when I installed a helicoil, I followed Lycoming guide which specifies a special helicoil that is .002 larger and uses the staking tool.
Where did you get the staking tool? I see where to buy it for over $2k. Did you find a source to rent it? If so, would you mind sharing?