LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I have the Avery heater box with the control arm inside the cabin. I bought the heater control cable from Van's . It's long. Very long. I'd like to see some images of how people are routing this cable since the OP drawing from van's does not do a very good job of explaining it. It also appears to secure the cable to the firewall but does not indicate how... and does not indicate a route back to the panel (or thereabouts); it only shows it as far as it going through the firewall angle via a #10 hole.

Post your pictures, please. and thanks.

Heater cable routing

Bob,
Here is how I did it. First picture is the position of the control on the panel. Second picture is of the subpanel, third is of the Adel clamp on the firewall stiffener (-3 clamp) and the fourth shows the cable penetrating the vertical angle. It seems to operate smoothly so far.
Hope this helps.
hpim1433o.jpg

hpim1434m.jpg

hpim1435.jpg

hpim1436b.jpg

Last edited:
My route is almost identical to Wards. I cut a fair amount of my cable off as it too was pretty long.

Where are you?

Jeff,
Where is your project based? Sometime when I am over your way I would like to stop by to see it, if that's OK.

Fabulous, Ward! That's almost exactly what I settled on last night, although I didn't commit to it because I sent an email to Van's tech support today asking about drilling a hole for the Adel clamp in that firewall stiffener.

Fabulous, Ward! That's almost exactly what I settled on last night, although I didn't commit to it because I sent an email to Van's tech support today asking about drilling a hole for the Adel clamp in that firewall stiffener.
If you don't want to drill another bolt hold through your stiffener, you could also just rivet a standoff to the stiffener and then adel clamp to that. The additional advantage of using a standoff is that it does a better job of keeping the cable from banging against or rubbing against the firewall. Just another idea.

Steve,
I like the stand-off idea better. I did that to support some brake lines, but hadn't thought of doing it when I ran the heater cable.

Steve,
I like the stand-off idea better. I did that to support some brake lines, but hadn't thought of doing it when I ran the heater cable.

Me, too (although I did get an email from Ken Scott that a bolt hole is not a structural problem). Do you have a picture of the standoff so I can set about planning to go that route?

Do you have a picture of the standoff so I can set about planning to go that route?
Actually I didn't remember I had done it this way, but I didn't rivet a standoff to the stiffener. I just used the bolt that already goes through that diagonal stiffener and grabs the battery box. No need to drill any holes through the stiffener at all...

Hope this helps.