whittfic

Well Known Member
Patron
I am thinking about using the DL-01SS heater box for my RV6 and have a question about the actuating cable. The way I am looking at it this (and other units I have looked at) seem to operate by pushing the cable knob in to allow warmed air to flow into the cockpit. This would mean that the knob is extended out from the instrument panel when heat is not required. This seems a little counter intuative. It seems more natural to me to want to pull the heater knob for heat and push in to close it off.

I know we all walk around upside down here in the southern hemisphere so maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way around, but I am interested to know what others have done or if I am missing something here.

Clive Whittfield
Auckland
New Zealand

Cable connection direction

Not sure of the operation of the unit you have in mind, but how it operates is a matter of how the cable "approaches" the box. In my case, the box "opens" for hot air when the lever is rotated down. Therefore, my bowden cable approached from the bottom, so when you pull the knob out it pulls down on the lever opening it for heat flow.

Don

Last edited:
I have the stainless steel one ...

... mentioned above. The damperr operating arm is inside the cabin so the cable need not penetrate the firewall. The knob is IN when the damper is closed. You pull the knob OUT to get heat.

Ever have one of those 'Duh' moments? I did shortly after I pushed the submit reply button of my original post. Don you are right of course, it depends on which direction the cable approaches the box. Kicking myself for not seeing the obvious.

And the stainless steel version of the TG-10 Colin mentioned will do the job nicely.

Many thanks folks.

Clive