Rosie

Well Known Member
All,
I just learned that if you (a moderator) delete the first post of a thread, the entire thread goes away....my bad. I was deleting the first post that had a broken link. Deleting posts AFTER the first post will delete the intended post. My apologies to all and Flyboy. Please repost as you see best, Rosie

PS: Here are my heated seats with pads from Flyboy :D

heated_seats_2013.jpg

Last edited:
Doh!

Well, I'll hit a few of the questions to the best of my recollection.

Several guys had asked about amp draw. The seat heaters use a 6 amp breaker for each seat. Each seat consists of both butt and back heater pads together. Each seat is for one person.

The harnesses included with the seat heaters are automotive type wiring. You can replace most of the harness with Tefzel wiring, but it really isn't worth the trouble. Don't replace the wiring attached directly to the pads.

The relay is the only item that we've seen fail so far. We've replaced 2 or 3 out of several hundred seat heater sets.

We can ship to Abby at Flightline Interiors. Just ask.

Thanks for all of the kind words of support for this product. It is a great product to keep the passenger happy. Happy wife, happy life.

We are often asked about the difference in price between the heaters we carry.

The $50 heaters work great, are inexpensive, and have a rocker type switch.

The $80 heaters work great, have a durable, waterproof nylon outer skin which might help longevity if you step in the seats often. These heaters have a round rocker switch.

Both types can be trimmed to fit. Both types have a hi-lo-off switch.

See them here:
http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Heated-Seats-s/9.htm

Doh!

Well, I'll hit a few of the questions to the best of my recollection.

Several guys had asked about amp draw. The seat heaters use a 6 amp breaker for each seat. Each seat consists of both butt and back heater pads together. Each seat is for one person.

The harnesses included with the seat heaters are automotive type wiring. You can replace most of the harness with Tefzel wiring, but it really isn't worth the trouble. Don't replace the wiring attached directly to the pads.

The relay is the only item that we've seen fail so far. We've replaced 2 or 3 out of several hundred seat heater sets.

I am happy with my FlyBoys ! I did use Tefzel as I needed to extend the harness and just wanted to keep all wires whole and not spliced. I did find some terminations loose, so one should check them all with a tug test.

Here is my single post with a picture of the harness. Builders should understand the wiring diagram to make it easy to install. I didn't. The post below will explain.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=836546&postcount=6

Leave it up to Rosie to muck up the business. Bad Rosie. (Rocks thrown)

+1 for Bill's comment on keeping the wires in one piece if possible. That is a sound idea for any piece of wiring.

Reiley,

You say that, but I know that you'd ask her to move before the engine was even running. At our age, flying takes precedence over.... well, you know. ;)

Staying warm/ heated seat

I live in Nebraska, no need to tell me to move south. I am looking in to warm weather flying gear for the RV4. There are many great flying days that are just plain cold. I see some heated motorcycle cloths and custom heated seats for cars and bikes. I know some of you are flying and enjoying it in the winter. What tricks can you share with me. I am trying to avoid thick heavy clothes. Thanks for your time. Dues paid. N234WC RV 4 Blair, Nebraska. (BTA)

We have seat heaters on our webstore. They have been
popular, troublefree, and easy to install.

Warm buns

I live in Nebraska, no need to tell me to move south. I am looking in to warm weather flying gear for the RV4. There are many great flying days that are just plain cold. I see some heated motorcycle cloths and custom heated seats for cars and bikes. I know some of you are flying and enjoying it in the winter. What tricks can you share with me. I am trying to avoid thick heavy clothes. Thanks for your time. Dues paid. N234WC RV 4 Blair, Nebraska. (BTA)

Blair,
Had I known about Vince's seat heaters I would have installed a set in my RV6X and may yet. All his products are first rate.
Another option of lesser quality but worked well in the chilly confines of my RV4 and HR2 back seat (according to my wife) was this: http://www.batteryjunction.com/wagan-9738.html?gclid=CKmY4ZyZgMMCFafyMgodrHAAKw I installed a 9V jack in the back seat and she would simply "plug in" her personal seat heater for the entire flight. Sealing the holes around the flap actuator rods with home made leather gaskets and sealing the rear canopy air leaks helped immensely.

As far as thin warm clothing for winter RV4 flying in cold climes, I wear good lightweight Cabellas long johns, thin wool socks with a polar fleece jacket pullover, Mountain Hardwear wind-stopper pants and my mountain biking gloves. A lightweight Columbia watch-cap works well and doesn't interfere with my head set or sunglasses. For long flights at below zero temps I carried hand-warmers from Home Depot checkout stand, one in the bottom of each shoe.
I'm sure all of these items are familiar to a Nebraska resident, I lived in South Dakota for five winters, can surely relate. :)

V/R
Smokey

Feeling warm....

is easier if your core is warm. I use hand warmer packets in my breast and other pockets to keep me warm. Toe warmers to go in your shoes, too. You can even get the back heat pads if you are going for a long journey. Having flown a fair amount of open cockpit in the winter, I find the warmer packets indispensable.

Winter has the best air for flying, as long as you can see through it.

Dress for conditions

I think heaters and heated seats are great, but I dress for winter flying as if I may have to walk a few miles out of a field or survive being stuck in a wreck. Just a thought.

LeRoy Johnston
RV-6A Esperanza 900 hrs

Electric seat heaters are critical to my personal comfort in winter. Also, I've found that cool drafts on the back of the neck/shoulders make for short flights and hours of discomfort/stiffness after the flight. While it may not look very sexy, I have a polar fleece "dickie" that also incorporates a hood. These are becoming more common in the hunting section of your local Walmart. This device doesn't interfere with headsets (either mickey-mouse ears or in-ear types) and its warmth around the neck and shoulders makes a huge difference in comfort levels.

Was about to go the heated seat route after a less than satisfying winter experience last year, but then decided to dual-purpose. I picked up Bosch heated jackets, model PSJ120, which are powered by the same 12v Li-Ion battery that I use on my hangar drills and drivers:

61%2BpMtnSAuL._SY355_.jpg

They work GREAT, in the plane, in the hangar, and even on the sidelines of chilly late fall sporting events. I have enough batteries to have two per jacket, but have never needed more than one for up to four hours of use. To get the best use, you want them to be tight fitting, so I find myself wearing the Medium sized one more often than not (whereas everything else in my wardrobe tends to men's large) with relatively thin clothing underneath.

I was able to pick up refurbished units last fall at a very reasonable price, no problems at all with them and they have the same warranty as new.

Last edited:
One advantage of the seat heaters, for me anyway, is that the heat feels real good on my 53 year old aching back. I even run seat heaters in the summertime on a long trip, just to keep the blood flowing to my backside. Feels good.

Man, it stinks getting older. :mad:

One advantage of the seat heaters, for me anyway, is that the heat feels real good on my 53 year old aching back. I even run seat heaters in the summertime on a long trip, just to keep the blood flowing to my backside. Feels good.

Man, it stinks getting older. :mad:

I was desperate on a trip and tried this with my car seat heater, it really worked! Over 8 hours in the seat is too much. The 7 will fix that! That 12-14 hr drive will become a 3 hrs 40 min flight.

I see it's an RV 4 so my advice might not be relative, make sure you seal the canopy as much as possible. I did see a post on VAF about an inflatable canopy seal on a RV8.
I have a slider 7, first flight was in less than 20* and I flew most of my 40 hours off in similar temps. My last flight of the year was on 12/31 and about 12*. I shucked my coat in the back and strapped in with a hoodie sweatshirt, lit the fires and turned on my seat heaters from flyboys on high. Crazy how much higher my seat cushions are when it's cold! 15 minutes into the flight I had to turn the seats down to low, cabin heat from the standard Van's heat muff was left full open. 5 minutes later the seat heaters were off and the cabin heat wasn't exactly warming my toes but they never got cold in thin socks and cowboy boots.
I was surprised how warm my 7 was flying at the cooler temps, only thing I can attribute it to is sealing the front and sides of the canopy and a decent seal on the back. If it's sunny and 30* I need to be in a T-shirt due to the greenhouse effect with the seat heat off and cabin heat on low.