pat

Well Known Member
Last year or maybe longer there was a group buy on heated seats. If I recall several were sold. Here in mid Michigan my thermometer says 5 so Im looking for some warming reviews. BTW great forum, thanks for all the help!

I like them

Pat,

I have them in my -9A and really like them. Combined with the dual heat muffs, the cabin is very tolerable down to about 0F outside. The heat on the bottom of the legs and lower back is really nice.

I'm installing them now

Pat,

I have them in my -9A and really like them. Combined with the dual heat muffs, the cabin is very tolerable down to about 0F outside. The heat on the bottom of the legs and lower back is really nice.

Pete,

I think this may help Pat with the decision to go with the heaters. I'm not trying to steal the thread.

I am in the process of installing seat heaters. Can you explain or show pics of your wire routing. I've got the passenger seat figured out. I can run it under the top longeron, back to the baggage compartment and down under that seat. The pilot's side will be more difficult because that location is already taken by static tubing. My spar snap bushings are pretty full.

Joe

Heated seats are great! They make a 20F day an nice day to fly :)

As for the wiring ... we run it on top on the seat plates ... and remove it during the summer.

Down the middle and in the flap housing

My wiring runs down the middle thru the spar and up into the the flap motor housing. It comes out of the flap housing to the seats. I don't know what they draw for amps.

8A

I have the heated seats but have not installed them yet. Does anyone have any input on installation and wire runs for the 8/8A?

Where did you put the control buttons?

Thanks

Joe,

Thanks for the input. We 8/8A guys have much less real estate on our panels. I may need to mount the buttons elsewhere.

Left side of Panel

RV6APanelProgress4.jpg

I have the passenger switch furthest to the right of the row of switches, pilot seat heat is furthest left.

Hans

How do they go into the seats?

I have the Classic Aero seats which have sewn together sections turned to the inside. The seat foam has cutouts to accomodate these bumpy stiched areas. How do the heating elements accomodate this? Are the seat elements soft which conform to theses bumps or what?

Bevan

Heated Seat Reviews

I added the heated seats to my RV9A about a year ago. Flying in Minnesota winters requires a few "mods" to the warmer weather RV that I purchased after it was built. The aileron boots and heated seats are probably the 2 most important things I've done for winter flying comfort.

I was worried about the repetitive stepping onto the heater pads when getting into and out of the plane, but so far - so good. The carbon fiber pads are thicker and maybe more durrable than small wire heaters (I purchased another seat heater to replace the OEM pad that burned out in my 2004 auto, so gained experience with Ford's OEM heaters - and their tripple the cost of these).

Anyhow, I recall the pads we bought in the group buy to be almost 1/8" thick and not the most pliable things in the world. I don't think they would conform real real to small indentations in your foam for your stitiching. They would probably push the stitching up, but then I'm sure all of our seats have panel stitching that is on top of the pads. Maybe other seats just don't have as thick of stitching between the panels.

Rick Luck
N109RV
RV9A

RV-8 Heated Seats

RV-8 install. I put the rear seat switch on the panel cover. This helped simplify the wiring.

rearseatheaterswitchvt5.jpg

For the front seat heater I placed the switch on the gear leg tower.

frontseatheaterswitchvt4.jpg

Mike Draper
RV-8, finish
N468RV

I've been using these seat heaters for over two years now and wouldn't be without them. I installed them myself inside a set of seat cushions made by DJ at Cleveland Tools. They work great and I've had no problems with them.

I mounted my control buttons down on the cover at the base of the control stick.

-19*F wind chill= -33*F

Not sure heated seats will be helping today.

METAR text: KBZN 211556Z 16004KT 6SM HZ SCT016 M28/M32 A3020 RMK AO2 SLP356 T12831322
Conditions at: KBZN (BOZEMAN, MT, US) observed 1556 UTC 21 January 2008
Temperature: -28.3?C (-19?F)
Dewpoint: -32.2?C (-26?F) [RH = 69%]
Pressure (altimeter): 30.20 inches Hg (1022.8 mb)
[Sea-level pressure: 1035.6 mb]
Winds: from the SSE (160 degrees) at 5 MPH (4 knots; 2.1 m/s)
Visibility: 6 miles (10 km)
Ceiling: at least 12,000 feet AGL
Clouds: scattered clouds at 1600 feet AGL
Weather: HZ (haze)

RE:Man thats way cold

Brian

Now thats cold....it reminds me of my days living in Randolph, Utah......I experience -45 F..................

Frank @ SGu RV7A Wing tips plus 1000000000000000 details

Not sure heated seats will be helping today.

METAR text: KBZN 211556Z 16004KT 6SM HZ SCT016 M28/M32 A3020 RMK AO2 SLP356 T12831322
Conditions at: KBZN (BOZEMAN, MT, US) observed 1556 UTC 21 January 2008
Temperature: -28.3?C (-19?F)
Dewpoint: -32.2?C (-26?F) [RH = 69%]
Pressure (altimeter): 30.20 inches Hg (1022.8 mb)
[Sea-level pressure: 1035.6 mb]
Winds: from the SSE (160 degrees) at 5 MPH (4 knots; 2.1 m/s)
Visibility: 6 miles (10 km)
Ceiling: at least 12,000 feet AGL
Clouds: scattered clouds at 1600 feet AGL
Weather: HZ (haze)