jscottpilot

I am in the middle of building my rv8 wing and would like to put a heated pitot tube. Does anyone have any suggestions. I assume most of the heated tubes offered are probably to short and to close to the disturbed airflow

Try Gretzaero.com. This is a new design that Gretz has been working on for the past couple of years. Non-TSO'd, but nothing else is close in price. I'm planning to install one in my 9A.
Good Luck,
Terry

jscottpilot said:
I assume most of the heated tubes offered are probably to short and to close to the disturbed airflow

I am using a Piper blade-style pitot tube, which is pretty short, and have excellent airspeed accuracy - I ma pretty sure it is closer to the wing than the standard van's tube, and for sure closer than the heated pitots on a Gretz mount.

I was actually surprised (and pleased of course) that it worked out so well!

Paul

Pitot, heated

Paul: Where did you get your Piper pitot/static blade and what did it cost? Are you using Van's static source or the Piper. Thanks - and glad to hear it works well. Merry Christmas Bill

Bill Dicus said:
Paul: Where did you get your Piper pitot/static blade and what did it cost? Are you using Van's static source or the Piper. Thanks - and glad to hear it works well. Merry Christmas Bill

Second question first - I'm using the Van's static source - I heard reports that using the blade's static would give all sorts of errors, so I never even tried it.

So where did I get it? It was sitting in a box of junk on a shelf in a hangar I moved in to about 25 years ago....been carrying it around for all those years, and figured I might as well put it to use (when I looked at the prices of new ones...). Sometimes, you get lucky... :cool:

Paul

I've decided to wait for a cheap(er) one to be offered. Just mount the brkt. and run the wires and tubing and hold off on buying the pitot.