pilot2512

Well Known Member
I,m almost done with emp kit and wings are waiting to be started. Looking ahead to the wings and I know I want a heated pitot probe. I was comparing probes and find the Dynon probe is the cheapest and if I decide I don't need the AOA function later, it will just go unused. The EFIS systems are evolving so fast it is hard to plan what might be needed 3 or 4 years down the road. Does this sound reasonable?

The Dynon pitot probe is a reasonable choice at a reasonable price. And it fits a standard mount (AN5812 form factor), which is good in case you ever need to replace the Dynon probe with a different probe for whatever reason. Or, you can just build the wing with an AN5812 mount for the pitot probe for now, and not even worry about which actual pitot probe to buy until later.

Note that the AoA port on the Dynon probe is only used with a Dynon EFIS. Other EFIS systems use different pressure port arrangements for AoA. But there's no harm in having the Dynon AoA port on the probe even if you don't use it (though in that case I'd suggest plugging the tube inside the wing to prevent air from flowing though it).

Yes, EFIS systems will continue to evolve in leaps and bounds over the next few years. But regardless you will still need a pitot probe.