Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
How has everyone been routing the heat ducting to the rear seat? I'm a little worried about drilling a 2" hole through the spar webs, and even if you do that, it seems like the aileron push tubes would get in the way of the scat hose that runs under the pilot's seat.

I'm installing a heat vent up front (between my feet) and wondering if that will be enough heat (for the back-seater) on cold weather days. I am plannig on moving up north someday as well . . . .

Rick

Heat in a 4

I live in the colder (relative to the south) northwest but long ago decided not to put heat ducting into the back seat of my RV4 under construction. I will have way more electrical power coming from the 60 amp Plane Power alternator than I will ever be using. It can easily power a seat heater for the passenger. I am not going to permanently install the seat heater in the back seat. My upholstery lady is going to make a two layer fleece and fabric cover for the seat heater that will allow it to be attached to the seat cushons when needed. Reality is that my friends, wife and kids rarely go flying with me in the late fall and winter. Hopefully this will all work out.

Brian Vickers
Bainbridge Island, WA
RV4 - trying to finish by spring 08'

I drilled a 1 1/2 inch hole in the spar and through the floor rib so the 1 1/4" SCAT (goes under the push tube nicely) comes up right at the rear stick as per the plans. If I were to do it again, I'd do like Brian and go electric. Doubt that seat is going to be used much anyway.

Last edited:
Belt and suspenders - heated seats front and rear and outlet for heated vest in the back for wife, Rosie. Bill

I'd suggest looking at Gerbing's jackets. I ride a bike (BMW) year round and used the Widder vest for a couple of winters. It was OK but the vest didn't keep me as warm as the Gerbings jacket does. There are several temp controllers available that can be panel mounted or simple plug-in controllers between the powerlet outlet and the jacket. Try looking here http://www.gerbing.com/

RV-4 REAR SEAT HEAT

I followed the plans and have the 2 inch hole in the spar for the duct to pass through. I made a fiberglas transition duct to pass under the foot wells. Calculated the heighth and width to equal the area of a 2 inch duct. If any one is interested in this approach, I could take a picture of the transition duct.

Not flying yet. Hopefully by spring!

Wally Hunt
Rockford, IL

Kill the leaks first...

Before you try to rig rear seat heat, fix all the canopy leaks with some door sealant tape and silicone first. When I lived in SD I wrapped a bedspring inside my heatmuff which helps make it a better heatsink. I also have a 9V socket in the back of my HR2 (and my RV4) that a small auto hairdryer operates very well. I mount it with velcro on the rear canopy deck facing forward. Combined with the front heater it works well.
I have also used a 2 inch temporary scat off the front duct routed back to the rear seat under the center floor and surfacing forward of the spar through a floorboard hole which is plugged in summertime. I simply remove the plug and install a rear facing snorkel and heat pours into the backseat just to the left of the LH Rear footwell. A buddy of mine uses a piece of PVC in winter.
If you're like me, my backseater is a girl which are by definition cold natured. A good set of electric socks and longjohns really help too.

My Dos Centavos..

Rob ray

Last edited:
heater....

I bought all the stuff to install heat( muff tubing etc) after first flight in Oct and after that first winter in IA found that a good jacket and driving gloves was all the heat I ever needed. 6 years later and all that heater stuff is still in a box in my hangar. The only problem I ever had was with the canopy fogging up for the first few minutes.

Seat Heaters

I fancy the seat heater route. Of course there will be different current requirements for different auto seat heaters but what sort of current requirement comes with the average heater? I have used the Van's 35 amp alternator. do I need to upgrade to the 60? To name a few I already have lots of electrical and electronic toys to run, such as landing lights, strobes, two radios, EFIS, etc, etc,etc.

Cheers

Stan
[/COLOR]