Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Did a quick search, but couldn't find anything directly related...

What's the accepted practice for Fast-on terminals? Do people put heatshrink over them always, never, only on FF terminals, what?

TIA!

Steve

Steve,
You will probably get different opinions on this. I will just tell you what I did. I did put heat shrink on all fast-on terminals. I mostly did it for strain relief purposes. On the terminals that were connecting to ground, I just put it over barrel and down the wire a ways. On all others, I also covered the open metal part of the terminal just to minimize the chance of shorting.

On small wire I had to build up the size of the wire with a layer or two of small diamter heat shrink because the larger diameter necessary to fit over the connector wouldn't shrink enough to grab the small wire.

It was extra work and perhaps over-kill. But I feel better about the durability of the connection; especially in a high vibration environment.

I did put heat shrink on all fast-on terminals.

I once had a fuse blow in flight due to a an aluminum shaving that didn't get picked up after vacuuming. It came into contact with a faston terminal which shorted the circuit out. So I agree this is a good idea to do, or just use shielded faston terminals.

I would suggest you use insulated fastons as a general practice. I never use the uninsulated types any longer in my work. I think this is what Bob was referring to as "shielded". I don't think I would use that term since that has a different implication for me. Protected or insulated might be better. These connectors are only slightly more expensive and will later prevent you from making a silly mistake and shorting out a couple of terminals when you are doing your testing. You can order these types of Fastons from Digi-Key or Mouser in any quantities you want.

I don't like the fully insulated ones because they won't work in my mil spec amp red/blue crimpers (my crimpers of choice).

I didn't use the insulated ones because I figured that with a little extra head shrink I could insulate and provide strain relief at the same time. I do agree that insulation is important which ever way you go.

PIDG Faston vs. Faston Tabs and Receptacles

I don't like the fully insulated ones because they won't work in my mil spec amp red/blue crimpers (my crimpers of choice).

I just went through this before I ordered my AMP milspec crimpers. The way I understand it, the PIDG Faston Receptacles and Tabs (insulated) (bottom left picture)
http://www.te.com/catalog/menu/en/17703?BML=10576,17560,17698
use the same tool as the PIDG Ring and Spade Tongue Terminals (insulated)
http://www.te.com/catalog/menu/en/24006?BML=10576,17560,17698

However the Faston Receptacles, Tabs and Housings (uninsulated) require a different (expensive) crimper or set of dies (top row of products)
http://www.te.com/catalog/menu/en/17703?BML=10576,17560,17698

Or am I missing something?

Tyco-Electronics-9-160583-5.jpg

Yes the amp mil spec crimper will fit the above, but it will not fit the fully insulated terminal below...
Tyco-Electronics-696366-1.jpg

Yes, but for different reasons

I put heat shrink on them for two reasons. One was strain relief - but honestly the primary reason was labeling. I could use a sharpie to label what the wire went to and then heat shrink it on the connector. Can't tell you how important those labels have been over time. Neither writing directly on the connector (it rubs off) or using a labeler from the office store (glue melts over time) works. Yellow with a blue Sharpie is my preferred color - but clear with a red/blue/black Sharpie works OK too; black is just bad (think flashlight up under the panel when you're upside down snaked over the seat in 95+ heat). Gotta have something you can see w/ sweat dripping in your eyes.

Yes the amp mil spec crimper will fit the above, but it will not fit the fully insulated terminal below...

Oh, yeah, those suckers...I was experimenting a while back and quickly figured out "Hey...that doesn't work" while looking at a mangled connector. LOL!

I bought the official Tyco/AMP crimper for the fully insulated type to add to our electronics shop's collection at work a couple of months ago. Almost $500 for the crimper & die set from Allied Electronics :eek:

I bought the official Tyco/AMP crimper for the fully insulated type to add to our electronics shop's collection at work a couple of months ago. Almost $500 for the crimper & die set from Allied Electronics :eek:

That's why I like to stick with my amp crimpers, I can't afford another set of crimpers just for insulated fast-on's!