Rolly9

The Exhaust pipes come close to the Bottom Cowl. What if anything are folks doing to protect the cowl from the heat.
Thanks.
Rolly Clark
RV-9

For the close exhaust areas, I used some 0.020 aluminum cut to shape, and glued to the cowling with beads of high-temp silicone. Other areas, I used aluminum tape.

The beads of glue provides an air gap below the heat shields.

Vern Little

124_2457_1.jpg

Originally used aluminum foil applied with spray contact cement. Lasted well for a few years. Reflected radiant energey pretty well.

After that I applied a home-brew mix of clear urethane resin and aluminum flake (glitter). Seems to reflect a fair amount of radiant energy, seals the fiberglass and adheres well.

Exhaust close to cowl

We also used an asbestos exhaust pipe wrap from the last joint to the end of the pipe extending out of the cowl. the looks are not bad and should last a long time. We did this on both pipes of the RV9-A slider.

On the other RV9-A tip-up, I plan on using this wrap for the entire exhaust.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3467/img0404sh7.jpg

Patrick N. Garboden/Todd Wiechman building in Wichita, KS
Ozark, MO
RV9-A slider 942WG (reserved)
RV9-A tip-up 942PT (reserved)

The stuff that Van's sells works very well. Just peel and stick to the inside of your cowl. The Rocket cowl is pretty tight and the primer I had on the cowl was blistering ever so slightly. I applied the shielding and re-primed and it fixed the problem completely. It is simple to use, low cost, and easy to apply.

Maybe you should not wrap SS pipes?

gorbak said:
We also used an asbestos exhaust pipe wrap from the last joint to the end of the pipe extending out of the cowl. the looks are not bad and should last a long time. We did this on both pipes of the RV9-A slider.

On the other RV9-A tip-up, I plan on using this wrap for the entire exhaust.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3467/img0404sh7.jpg

Patrick N. Garboden/Todd Wiechman building in Wichita, KS
Ozark, MO
RV9-A slider 942WG (reserved)
RV9-A tip-up 942PT (reserved)
I thought I saw a warning about wrapping the Vetterman stainless steel pipes when I got mine. Maybe worth some investigation. Would likely work fine with iron pipes, as it does in race cars.