RFazio

Well Known Member
Are you supposed to peal the paper like backing off the metalic heat shield from Vans. I've got the heat shield they supply for the cowl and little pieces for the tips around the landing lights. They say to use plyobond to glue it in place. On top of the paper or do I peal it off?

I think you should peel the backing off...I just bought some and peeled it off and stuck in place. For the most part it sticks pretty well, although there are a couple of places where it lifted because of the compound curvature of the cowl (the foil was stretched a little bit and lifted).

I hadn't heard that you're supposed to use plyobond...where did you read that?

Peel the paper off. It will stick pretty good buy itself if you round the corners with sizzors. If it still comes up them glue it.

Heat Shield

I read it in the directions that came with the landing light kit I got from Vans. The kit gives you two little pieces of foil to put in the tips near where the lights are. I got the two little projector type lights per tip. The bulbs are real close to the fiberglass and I guess they get pretty hot. They give you directions on installing the lights and the foil and it says use plyobond. I saw that it appeared sticky under the paper backing. I can't see using plyobond on top of the sticky backing? Wierd? I guess I'll try just sticking it down by itself and see what it looks like. I never used plyobond I don't know if it's a spray or tube or what. Thanks for the responce guys.

PlioBond is a...

I read it in the directions that came with the landing light kit I got from Vans. The kit gives you two little pieces of foil to put in the tips near where the lights are. I got the two little projector type lights per tip. The bulbs are real close to the fiberglass and I guess they get pretty hot. They give you directions on installing the lights and the foil and it says use plyobond. I saw that it appeared sticky under the paper backing. I can't see using plyobond on top of the sticky backing? Wierd? I guess I'll try just sticking it down by itself and see what it looks like. I never used plyobond I don't know if it's a spray or tube or what. Thanks for the responce guys.

....high quality solvent based contact cement...

http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productid=1755&Tab=Products

It comes in a little can with a brush in the lid, and seems to be preferred by automotive folks - I got some since it was recommended for a Fiat convertible top installation.

PLIOBOND20_1_2PINT.jpg

A good automotive supply place should have it.

Didn't use PlioBond under the heat shield for my cowl and now have lifting on the front edges . ( Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then ) cus now I will be replacing it .

I found pliobond very hard to find. It's one of the glues that Lycoming wants you to use when you install the front oil seal. I looked all over the place for it and finally found it at Ace Hardware. Turns out you can find it at any WELL stocked Ace Hardware. Couldn't find it at any automotive parts shops.