Chappyd

Well Known Member
I installed the heat muff on the #1 exhaust tube per my plans. I have the complete FWF kit from Van's, with an IO-360-M1B. Everything went toghether well, but the entire unit can rotate on the exhaust pipe and also slide back and forth about an inch. Is this normal? I tightened the hose clamps up pretty tight, but it didn't help any. It seems that the way it is now there's nothing to secure it in place. Am I missing something?

file the holes into slots

If I remember this step correctly from about about 18 months ago, the problem was that the hose clamps cannot tighten the muff securely enough. Solution is to file the little holes in the end plates that the long threaded piano wires (that locate the end plate assemblies) pass through, so that they are slightly oval. Then when you tighten the clamps, the end plate assemblies slide together and can tighten up sufficiently to locate the muff firmly on the exhaust pipe. It should NOT be able to slide the muff up and down or rotate it.

Sorry, no pictures, but I hope this somewhat shambolic explanation is enough to let you solve the problem!

Chris

Dave, I have the same engine. Can you send me a pic of the installed heat muff? I can't seem to get the idea of how they want me to install the muff.