newtech

Well Known Member
Patron
My hearing has been degrading for a while now and has gotten to the point that something needs to be done. Today I had two situations that were directly hearing related. The first one wasn't a safety issue; I just had trouble understanding a tower controller that had a higher pitched voice. The second one was a safety issue that has me pretty concerned. Coming into a Class C airport I heard the controller direct me to enter a left downwind for 18. I read back the direction and received confirmation. I proceeded to position for an entry to a left downwind for 18 and the tower instructs an immediate turn. My passenger confirmed that the clearance, from the tower, was for 36 not the 18 that I thought I heard. She didn't say anything because she just thought she had heard it wrong. It was me that heard it wrong.

Now to the reason for the post. Is there a headphone pre amp that can be inserted between an intercom or audio panel and the headphones that includes bass and treble controls? hearing-aids are probably the solution but it would be nice to be able to tailor the audio going the the headphones.

Now to the reason for the post. Is there a headphone pre amp that can be inserted between an intercom or audio panel and the headphones that includes bass and treble controls? hearing-aids are probably the solution but it would be nice to be able to tailor the audio going the the headphones.

If you have a 28 volt aircraft, the PS Engineering's PM1200 intercom can provide plenty of audio output. The output amplifier in that unit provides up to 200mW into General Aviation Headset.

The other function of the PM1200 is the Active Microphone Processor where the back ground noise is significantly reduced.

73's
W9MV
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc

Same Problem

I use the CEPs with good results and now have a Halo from Quiet Technologies that I really like. When I am flying my Yak (very loud), I prefer the CEP which is set up to use with my ANR headset. I really like this combination due to the huge noise reduction. In my RV I usually use the Halo.

Phil

Are you guys listening

I think the problem is the high frequencies need to be amplified while the lower frequencies are kept at "normal" levels. Is there a pre amp that just amplifies the higher frequencies?

hearing aids with headsets

I have CIC hearing aids (Completely In Canal) and they work well with my Lightspeed headset. admittedly, the larger external hearing aids might not allow headset use, but the CICs seem reasonably compatible. FYI - my hearing loss is "moderate to severe" above 3500Hz.

Maybe try an equalizer for PA systems. Musicians friend has a selection. Pick a cheap one with 1/4" in/out jacks and put it inline with your headphones. Find a frequency with chatter and start boosting and cutting.

I have behind the ear hearing aids from Costco and they work great in anr headsets. I also needed a boost in the high frequencies but not the low. ATC and the towers are all clear now.

I have an 80 db high freq. hearing loss, and for several years enjoyed the peace and quiet, until I started missing too many radio calls. Got a pair of Siemens behind-the-ear aids($4500 the pair), which work great with my Zulu 2 headset. They can be tuned to selectively boost the frequencies you need help with. They can also be programed for different situations. For instance, I have a biking program that blocks wind noise and amplifies voices. It is my understanding that untreated hearing loss actually accellerates the loss of the hearing that remains.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Hearing aids may be the answer

I too suffered through miss-understood radio calls. While I enjoy the quitetness of the world (no barking dogs, no noisy birds, etc...) I do need to hear the controllers. The answer was hearing aids. The first set lasted 9 years of good service before the right side aid died. So last year I visited my audiologist and was fitted with a pair of Oticon AGP-I hearing aids. They are not cheap, somewhere in the neighborhood of $6K for the two. A quality of life issue here so the cost was worth it.

Mine are in the ear, converse with each other, accept Bluetooth input from iPhones, etc and contain 3 configurable programs depending on the environment the listener is in. Behind the ear versions have more programs but BTE are not for everyone, like me.

Program 3 is configured to use the internal telecoil instead of the external microphones. The telecoil is nothing more than a tiny coil of wire around a core that will induce an electric current in the coil when it's in the presence of a changing magnetic field. So when I select program 3 the telecoil picks up the magnetic field produced by the headset speaker. No external noise at all and the best ANR anyone could buy.

I have found they work in most headsets, but not Bose. I use Lightspeed's Zulu when my wife is not wearing them or an old set of Peltor ANR which are a little bulky but work well.

A pricey investment which is not for everyone but my hearing is so poor these days I have to get the best money can buy. My friends always know when I don't have my "Ears" in.:D

All is not lost when the hearing goes.

I just met an incredible set of pilots. My wife and I went down to their fly-in earlier this year in Corona. I was amazed at the range of skill sets of the pilots that attended all the way through instructors. Obviously there are limitations, but it was clear to me that my deaf son will still be able to get his license should he desire too.

http://www.deafpilots.com/

I also use the Halo in ear headsets and they are wonderful. I have some hearing loss in the upper range and I have no trouble understanding radio communications now.