RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I'm looking for ideas on where to mount the headset jacks on a 7 with slider and complete Classic Aero interior. I really don't want to mount them on the panel.

On my current 7 Tip Up. I have them mounted on the Roll Bar brace that goes to the baggage bulkhead. Great location. It keeps the wires out of the way.

Thanks in advance.

Head set jacks.

I mounted them below the vents. Feel free to look at my photo album in my signature and go about 2/3rd of the way down. I'm not flying yet but I've spent some time sitting with the entire interior installed and this location seems to be OK. I just let the wires lay along side of the seat.

seat cross bar

Mounted mine on the forward face of the seat back cross bar between the seats, they are out of the way and cord sits in the middle. Switched the mike on my bose to the right so the cord does not drape across the chest.

Mine are below the vents too

and tucked under just an inch or so. Conventional location, but the wires are sometimes a hassle getting in or out. I like the idea of the cross bar between the seat backs, or maybe the flap actuator tower (don't know if there's room...

Waiting for blue tooth adapters...

Mounted mine under the vent and onto the Classic Aero Aviator side panel.

201103271429_91_2_m.jpg

201103271430_97_0_m.jpg

201103271424_27_0_m.jpg

201103271430_97_1_m.jpg

Mounted mine behind the seats

I mounted mine on the back of the flap actuator housing, in the baggage area. It works out perfect for me. The wires come from behind you. Between the seats. When I get out off the plane I put the headsets in the baggage area on a hanger. The jacks are near the floor low on the vertical brace for the flap actuator. It keeps the wires out of the way.

I'm convinced I need to put my jacks behind me somewhere. What kind of wire do you all use?

Im looking for the same info. Can I get jacks at radio shack or do I need "special" aircraft jacks? I believe I can use 22g shielded wire. Is that correct? I want to mount them on the side of the flap box so the wires are all behind me and not in the way when I try to get in and out.

Nate, how do you remove the side panels for the condition inspection?

Mine are mounted just above the vents, right under the angle piece. They are out of the way and easy to get to. The wires lay right down along your leg.

While a personal choice, I never liked the plugs in the back because they are in the way when loading stuff in the baggage compartment.

I put mine on the side of the Flap Actuator housing, they are in a location where I can reach all 4 plugs while sitting in the left side, they are behind me, and they are out of the way for baggage b.c they stick to the right side instead of straight back. As far as the condition inspection, I can remove the left side panel and get to everything I need to, and If I do need to remove the left, it will just lay down.

IMG_0936_zpsa76dc22d.jpg

David, that is just the picture I was looking for. Perfect. What about wire, is 22g shielded ok? How about the jacks. where did you get yours? Thanks.

Mine came from Stein air, he actually made the entire harness for the radio. They are just simple 22ga shielded wire tho, as far as I can tell there is nothing special about the wiring.

IMG_1022_zps8209c8e9.jpg

Last edited:
Nate, how do you remove the side panels for the condition inspection?

Bill,

The forward side of the "J" shaped brackets screw in place. The screws go through the bracket, the forward end of the Classic Aero panel, and into the bulkhead.

Shot of the "J" brackets, and the plates that rivet to the panel and hold the "tab" on the aft end of the bracket:

To remove the headset jack bracket and the interior panel, remove the two forward screws, slide the bracket tab out from behind the locking plate, and the bracket assembly hangs by the wiring.

Shot of the platenuts in the bulkhead:
201103271424_62_1_m.jpg

Bracket "tab" slides behind the locking plate:
201103271424_27_0_m.jpg

201103271430_97_1_m.jpg

For those that asked:

Yes you can buy 1/4" headphone jacks at Radio Shack. But they usually do not stock the 0.206" mike jacks.
Make sure you get insulating shoulder washers for all jacks.
The currents are quite low, wire gauge is not important. 22 gauge is fine.
If you are wiring for stereo you need 3 wires inside the shield (left, right, return). Run seperate cables for the mike and headphones.

Im looking for the same info. Can I get jacks at radio shack or do I need "special" aircraft jacks? I believe I can use 22g shielded wire. Is that correct? I want to mount them on the side of the flap box so the wires are all behind me and not in the way when I try to get in and out.
Rockwood, I might be inclined to check dia of plugs. I stopped in a electronics place for a jack and he said thats a aviation plug,sorry don't carry them. Bought them at Pacific coast avionics around the corner from Vans.

Ron in Oregon Got my N # today N421HJ