I put mine on the right landing gear box for the pilot and on the right side bulkhead below the canopy slide rails for the copilot. The wires are hidden inside the landing gear tower for the pilot's jacks and I ran a piece of black vacuum line from the floor up to the jacks to hide the wires for the copilot. The wires for the copilot are inside the vacuum line and it is attached to the front side of the bulkhead with a cushioned adel clamp. It looks nice too.

I chose the right side because the engine and propeller controls are on the left. I didn't want the headphone wires dangling in the way of my left hand.

Jack location.

Co-Pilot on right side, armrest level, below roll bar - forward of armrest. My wife says she can reach this easily. Pilot on right also, at aft portion of armrest to my right. I'll have to work out something to keep headset cord away from pax leg. Routing was right gear tower, under fwd angled panel used for CB's by Van, then under armrests. Out of sight and easy to reach. I chose right side to keep headsets and cords out of way while boarding and leaving the plane. I'm not flying. Len Kaufman put pilot's jacks on a bracket attached to the gear tower on right. Works very well. Will try to post pic. Bill

My Lightspeed Zulu has the wiring coming out of my LEFT earcup . I was thinking of switching the jacks to the other side. Most headsets seem to be the same . Why do people put the jack on the right ? What am I missing ?

Marc

My Lightspeed Zulu has the wiring coming out of my LEFT earcup . I was thinking of switching the jacks to the other side. Most headsets seem to be the same . Why do people put the jack on the right ? What am I missing ?

Marc

Most airplanes put the jacks on the side opposite the side used for entry to the cockpit. Just one more thing that will not be in your way as you settle in. Nothing says you have to enter an RV-8 on the left side but it sure would feel weird to do otherwise!

jacks

I put mine on the left, under the pilots seat brace front and rear, works good.

Consider Interior package

In my seven, I mounted mine in the baggage compartment then brought the wires forward. Gee, worked real well until I installed the interior. Now it's a real pain to switch headsets!!

Nothing says you have to enter an RV-8 on the left side but it sure would feel weird to do otherwise!

It's funny that you mention that; I know that both and the -4 and the -8, along with virtually every other centerline seat airplane in the aviation universe, are designed to be entered on the left side (sorry Citabria)... but I have this weird habit of climbing in my -8 from the right side. Why? Because the way my hangar is laid out, my work bench and tool box are located behind the right wing, so while building and now just tinkering at the hangar, the quickest way in/out was over the right side. It's just become a weird habit... once at a burger fly-in another RV'er noticed my right side mount-up and inquired why. "Um, well, you see, my hangar is arranged..."

BTW, my headset plugs are on the right side panels both front and back and no issues of tangling up climbing in/out.

Personal Preference

Where have you guys decided to mount pilot/co-pilot headset jacks?

Ken
Too many years flying spam cans with the headset wires flouncing about my chest and lap, I knew there had to be a better way. I mounted the RV headset jacks so the wires are always behind me yet the jacks are easy to access while in flight. Mounted high on the vertical member behind the pilot seat, I essentially did the same thing in the -6A, in that case for both the pilot and passenger jacks.

2m42iog.jpg

I like your interior Rick

Clean, crisp and uncluttered. Is that green color a two part or zinc chromate primer with some gloss..?...It sure looks good with the grey two-tone seats and armrests. Bob

Clean, crisp and uncluttered. Is that green color a two part or zinc chromate primer with some gloss..?...It sure looks good with the grey two-tone seats and armrests. Bob
Thanks Bob,

The interior color is straight Akzo epoxy primer, no added gloss. Truly tough stuff, it works so well in my -6A that I just had to do the same again. One thing I have found....unlike most traditional "paints," if you have the need to locally retouch an area such as the rivet shop heads, the color blends in so well as to be almost indistinguishable from the cured color around it.