mh53j

Has anyone flown with the Clarity Aloft, Lightspeed Mach 1 and the Halo? If so what is your preference? Any comments are welcome.

I'm looking to buy one of the three, but have not had the chance to use any of them. Price isn't a big concern.

Thanks,

Brett

Clarity

mh53j said:
Has anyone flown with the Clarity Aloft, Lightspeed Mach 1 and the Halo? If so what is your preference? Any comments are welcome.

I'm looking to buy one of the three, but have not had the chance to use any of them. Price isn't a big concern.

HI Brett,

I like the Clarity Aloft. I looked at the Lightspeed but it still has an earpiece that clips over the ear. The Halo is close to the Clarity. The CA's have been around longer and I liked the owners of the company. They came highly recommended from other users.

I couldn't use a regular headset now. In our hot AZ temps the CA is comfortable. The sound clarity is excellent and the passive nature really keeps the outside noise out!!

CA for me, too

I got a Clarity Aloft and have not looked back. If you don't mind wearing ear plugs (some people really do) these things are great. Lightweight, quiet and you can wear any hat/sunglass combo. The audio quality is amazing. I am very happy with them.

For reasons having NOTHING to do with the Halo, I use Bose now. For the brief time I used it, though, the Halo ROCKS and you would have needed to pry them from my cold, dead hands.. Everyone who buys a Halo or CA seem to be sold on them so I guess it's a toss up. Lightspeed seems to not have created much excitement with their's, for some reason.

Mach 1 for me

mh53j said:

Thanks,

Brett

I'm using the Lightspeed Mach1. The reason I went for the Mach I is so I could use the individually moulded ear plugs. That's the only way to go. The sound attenuation is so much superior to the standard plugs and the fit is more comfortable. I had my ear plugs moulded by sensaphonics.

With the moulded ear plugs the fit is so good you don't need the ear loop to support the microphone stem...mine supports straight from the ear plug...talk about a minimal system....after 3 hours of flying I don't even realise I have them on.

I can't compare the Mach1 with the other in-ear systems because I haven't tried them in flight. But I can certainly say the Mach 1 offers better communications intelligibility than any other headset I've tried...and that includes the Bose X.

But you NEED the moulded ear plugs...that's the secret to success.

In-the-ear headsets

mh53j said:

Thanks,

Brett
The February 2007 issue of Kitplanes has an article on page 50 that reviews the Clarity, Lightspeed, Halo and Panther in-the-ear units.
Leland

Darwin...

Actually Quiet Technologies has been around LONGER than the Clarity folks. We were making the Ultra Flite several years before CA. Our HALO is an updated version...

Cheers

Phil McCandless
Quiet Tech

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter.

I bought a Halo at Sun-n-Fun and wore it on the way home. My original set is a LightSPEED Thirty-3G. While I find the Halo's comfortable and reasonably quiet, they are not as quiet as my LightSPEEDs. What's missing is the cancellation of the low engine drone sound. When flying on short hops, the Halo's are fine, but they give me a headache on long trips due to the drone.

Just my opinion, but I've tried them both on side-by-side while flying.

If you get a good seal, the noise goes away. I totally agree that with a poor seal, the in-ear style headsets don't cut it. It's all about getting that good seal imho.

Any suggestion on getting a good seal? I'm using the yellow seals and have them placed pretty far into the ear canal. Maybe it's just the shape of my ear.

f1rocket said:
Any suggestion on getting a good seal? I'm using the yellow seals and have them placed pretty far into the ear canal. Maybe it's just the shape of my ear.

Some people they fit, and some people they don't..... :p

I find that if I want a really good seal, I need to hold them in until they have expanded, or they creep out a little as they fill the space.

I also find that the seals loose their ability to seal with age - I change them out every couple of weeks, and a new pair is like getting a new headset!

Paul

f1rocket said:

Roll between your fingers to about half diameter then hold them place and rotate about 1/4 turn back and forth a couple times as they expand. Works well for me.

Try the silicone earpiece?

f1rocket said:
Different things work for different people. That said, if you haven't tried the silicone ones, then you should. Moisten them and they will slide in as far as you like. Paul Dye and I are like Jack Sprat and his wife. I sent him some foam ones and he sent me the silicon ones. We are both happy with the Halo. I am certain the Halo is quieter at all frequencies than any ANR that I have used.

Dont go too far in!

f1rocket said:
Hi Randy,

I guess I am one of those people for whom it doesnt work as good. My wife swears by her Clarity Alofts. I have tried them a couple of times and I still get a lot more low frequency noise from the engine than when I wear my Lightspeed 30Gs.
After reading the posts here about not getting a good seal I thought I would try them again so yesterday I stuck them in until it started hurting then backed off a bit. Sort of like I do my mixture. :) Today I have scabs in my ear and ear pain. Guess I went too far.:eek:

After a couple of hours my lightspeed 3Gs start being real uncomfortable so I would like to switch to something that works on long trips.
I wonder how the Clarity Alofts would work if I put a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 2s on over them? Maybe I could get comfort and quiet for long trips.

Lightweight Headsets.

If you're like me, a tad on the older side and suffer from EEHG--- Explosive Ear Hair Growth, (You have to have read the comic strip "Dilbert" to really appreciate that term), you have to be carefull to keep the ear hairs from preventing the foam getting deeply enough into the ear canal to seal off most of the noise.

Bang for the buck--the Halo's worked for me.

I have been flying with the Bose X lately and find them excellent yet tiresome after a long day of flying (Both rv-7 and B737). I really have tried all kinds of in the ear headsets, telex pro, plantronics ect. So I kept hearing about the Halo and about how great they are. I called QT up and ordered about week 1/2 ago. Hopefully they will arrive before I fly to Mexico City on Sunday. It can be dangerous not understanding those Mexican Controllers. I'll post when I get my halo. :cool:

I've just got my HALO's and have tried them in a Cessna 172 only so far. (My RV-7 is still under construction)

They worked GREAT both for my wife and me during the trial! Crystalclear sound and exellent damping!

They come both with rubberplugs and foamplugs. My wife prefer the rubber ones and I prefer the foam.
It's nice that they come with two options.

I've tried pretty expensive conventional headsets earlier and none of them where as good as HALO, allthoug a couple came close.

I also like that one can choose beetween having on top of your head or behind the neck.

It's also nice not to worry about batterylife anymore.

They come with a 30-day full return policy and where on sale for 350 bucks, so I figured I'd nothing to loose by trying them out. I'm glad I did!

So: no more "brainclamps" for my wife and me...

Alf Olav Frog / Norway
Finishing