carguy614

Well Known Member
Best to all!!!
Anyone wish to comment on the Headsets INC. ANR conversion? I am thinking about changing over my beloved DC H10-20's. One question I asked HI was if they could supply the kits for stereo conversion as well. No reply as of yet. Comments most app.
Thanks..
Chris Schmitt
9A 90970 N614 RV
Wiring and final assy

I installed their kit in my DCs several years ago and have been happy with the way it performs. Seems to be just as effective as other ANC headsets, although that is based on just a couple of incidental opportunities to make comparisons.

Be careful - it's a tight fit inside the headset cup and the solder tabs on the volume control can break off easily. I had to buy a new volume control, but it has all worked fine ever since.

I installed a set in my Peltors a couple of years ago. I am happy with the active reduction; however, it destroyed the passive capability of the Peltors. If the battery goes dead and I don't have a replacement handy then I immediately switch to my unmodified set of Peltors. I think the reduction in passive capability is because the two speakers are tightly squeezed into the ear cups.

Ditto

Been using them for 3 years.

Easy to install, good performance, good customer support, and low cost.

What more could you want.

I've just ordered and converted my DC 13.4s (mono). The L / R speakers are sperate and the one peice cord (recommended) provides a stero plug feed and a stero/mono switch, ie. I now have a stereo headset.

The only issue is the headset volume control - either you need to get one additional pot/knob (which will be slightly different in appearance to the DCs), get two new pots/knobs (same appearance) or just ignore the whole headset volume control. At $18 each for the pots/knobs - I just ignored. Any use I'm likely to have will be in the 'front seats' and therefore will have individual intercom volume control.

With regard to ground testing (as far as I've got so far) the passive mode is ok but quite a low tonal pitch, once the ANR is on - all the higher frequencies can be heard. I'm almost struggling to turn the intercom down to a low enough volume level......

HTH,

Carl

I did it something like 7 or 8 years ago on my good old Clarks and couldn't be happier. I still recommend them to some of my customers when they ask. It's not a hard thing to do, and the quality is quite good, at least to my ears!

Cheers,
Stein

Added it to my DC 13.4's and love the conversion. After using them for two years I purchased a Bose so I can make a comparison to them. The Bose has better sound clarity but not by much. The DC's are better ANR both on and especially passive. I also compared the conversion DC's to my friends Lightspeeds and it blew them away and another friend's Clarity Alofts and it blew them away as well. I now recommend the Headsets Inc. conversion to everyone with DC's unless they are going to spring for the Bose only because they are a little more comfortable to wear.

I found the electrical work to make the physical change to be easy but I also have some soldering experience. If that is the reason you would not want them, pay to have them do the conversion for you.

In my opinion unless you spring for the Bose, you will have the best ANR headsets for under $500-$600 which includes the base headset.

Mike R.

Headsets Inc.

I had them do my helmet 5-6 years ago, I am an ag-pilot. Works great. It is not a Bose, but well worth it. I average over 700hrs a year, no problems. Good people.

I did it something like 7 or 8 years ago on my good old Clarks and couldn't be happier. I still recommend them to some of my customers when they ask. It's not a hard thing to do, and the quality is quite good, at least to my ears!

Cheers,
Stein
Dittos on what Stein said. I did the same to a DC years ago and they're still perfect. They really work well at the lower frequencies like those of piston/propeller planes.

One more thing--O.K., two more

Be sure to get the gel ear seals that they sell when you buy the electronics.

They really make a difference. I had the DC gel seals, and the ones form Headsets Inc are vastly better. Things like chewing gum, glasses frames, ETC dont bother them.

Lastly spring for the auto shut off feature on the battery box, it will pay for itself in no time.

Excellent Value

I did the conversion, added the gel seals and lamb wool top pad and love them. I now have a set of Bose (they are lighter and little less fatiguing on long x/c). My wife flies a Acro Sport Biplane and tried them - I have now lost them and she calls them "her headeset"