digidocs

Well Known Member
Hi VAF,

If you're considering the new Avidyne IFD540 or IFD440 GPS it looks like there is a serious issue in the "free" extended warranty language that you should be aware of. This Aviation Consumer piece has the details, but in short Avidyne is asking you to cover *all of their legal expenses and damages* in any lawsuit:

http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issues/44_16/commentary/Letters-April-2015_6714-1.html

Certainly you don't have to sign up for the extended warranty, but not everyone (myself included) always scrutinizes the fine print in a warranty agreement. I'd hate to accidentally end up in a potential trap like this one.

This is too bad, I am really excited about their products and would love to see some friendly competition in the certified GPS space.

David

Last edited:
AeroPlan

David,

I appreciate your feedback on the AeroPlan topic. We have been actively engaged within the aviation community as it relates to the AeroPlan Extended Warranty. This spirited dialog has brought to our attention several areas of confusion regarding the intent of this optional program. Avidyne will continue to offer the AeroPlan Extended Warranty in exchange for signing the AeroPlan contract. Additionally, we offer the following comments regarding the program which are aimed at addressing areas of confusion regarding this optional program.

First and foremost, AeroPlan is a choice. Our intent with AeroPlan was to offer an option for our customer base that provides value to both Avidyne and the customer if selected at the customer?s choice. Participation in AeroPlan is not a requirement in order to use our products. As a result of the comments Avidyne has received, and to reiterate our position that this program is a choice, we are adding an Opt-Out clause to the Terms & Conditions that allows any customer who has signed up for AeroPlan a 30-day grace period in which they can change their mind and cancel their AeroPlan agreement.

Additionally, Avidyne offers competitive out of warranty pricing found here: http://www.avidyne.com/support/Avidyne_OutofWarranty.pdf

Avidyne will continue to innovate and bring avionics products to market that make flying safer, easier, and more fun. As many have stated, competition is good, and we intend to be around and to compete in this market for a long time.

David,

I appreciate your feedback on the AeroPlan topic. We have been actively engaged within the aviation community as it relates to the AeroPlan Extended Warranty. This spirited dialog has brought to our attention several areas of confusion regarding the intent of this optional program. Avidyne will continue to offer the AeroPlan Extended Warranty in exchange for signing the AeroPlan contract. Additionally, we offer the following comments regarding the program which are aimed at addressing areas of confusion regarding this optional program.

First and foremost, AeroPlan is a choice. Our intent with AeroPlan was to offer an option for our customer base that provides value to both Avidyne and the customer if selected at the customer’s choice. Participation in AeroPlan is not a requirement in order to use our products. As a result of the comments Avidyne has received, and to reiterate our position that this program is a choice, we are adding an Opt-Out clause to the Terms & Conditions that allows any customer who has signed up for AeroPlan a 30-day grace period in which they can change their mind and cancel their AeroPlan agreement.

Additionally, Avidyne offers competitive out of warranty pricing found here: http://www.avidyne.com/support/Avidyne_OutofWarranty.pdf

Avidyne will continue to innovate and bring avionics products to market that make flying safer, easier, and more fun. As many have stated, competition is good, and we intend to be around and to compete in this market for a long time.

Hi Simpson, and welcome to VAF. Thank you for joining to explain a little more about Avidyne's extended warranty AeroPlan.

Can you expand a bit on Avidyne's intent here? An ananlysis by Aero News Network seems to indicate there is a possibility that everyone who has ever signed up for AeroPlan could be on the hook to cover all Avidyne's legal costs in the event of ANY legal action taken against Avidyne by ANYONE, at ANY TIME. In other words, ten years from now an airplane crashes, Avidyne gets sued, and every single past and present participant of AeroPlan has to send Avidyne a check?

(http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=5687193f-967c-486f-8bff-acf8e04387f2)

Is this the intent? I am genuinely interested in your products, but for me personally this sounds a bit like a deal breaker - optional or not.

Last edited:
Hi Simpson, and welcome to VAF. Thank you for joining to explain a little more about Avidyne's extended warranty AeroPlan.

Can you expand a bit on Avidyne's intent here? An ananlysis by Aero News Network seems to indicate there is a possibility that everyone who has ever signed up for AeroPlan could be on the hook to cover all Avidyne's legal costs in the event of ANY legal action taken against Avidyne by ANYONE, at ANY TIME. In other words, ten years from now an airplane crashes, Avidyne gets sued, and every single past and present participant of AeroPlan has to send Avidyne a check?

(http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=5687193f-967c-486f-8bff-acf8e04387f2)

Is this the intent? I am genuinely interested in your products, but for me personally this sounds a bit like a deal breaker - optional or not.

Thank you for the welcome.

Just to stress this point again, AeroPlan is an optional extended warranty. The analysis done by AeroNews was for a previous version of AeroPlan. AeroPlan has since been edited to reflect our intent that AeroPlan is applicable for the time that the customer owns that airplane with Avidyne equipment installed in it. The exact wording can be found in paragraph four (4) of the clause. Here is an excerpt from the actual clause: "...THE ACCIDENT OR INCIDENT OCCURRED WHILE I HAD AN OWNERSHIP INTEREST IN THE ACCIDENT OR INCIDENT AIRCRAFT EQUIPPED WITH THE AVIDYNE AVIATION PRODUCTS..."